PC Hard Drive crashed

Weepee31

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and have recently experienced a complete and total hard drive crash on my Windows PC. Got everything up and running on a new hard drive except Steinberg Cubase Artist 12, which I can't get off the old hard drive. From what I've read, the licence gets stored on the hard drive and I'd never registered it on Steinberg in my account. I've contacted their support (2 weeks ago, and several other prompts) but no reply. I've attached the receipt for buying it and the download code I used (that I took a picture of) as per the articles on Steinberg's webpage and have sent them on as further information into the email confirming the ticket number and that the request was received. This might be covered elsewhere on the forum but any advice or information on what else to do, would be appreciated.

I have been lurking in recording forums for over ten years and in all that time DAW software firms have always been unhelpful ***holes. It seems THEY never have a PC crash or any other kind of ***'appen to THEM!
I looked for a download of Artist 12 on the Steinberg site and was boggled. Have you tried down loading the DAW then you can dicker about activation?

Dave.

I found Cubase Artist 12 pretty easily - maybe I missing something here?
Hi, thanks for your reply and to ecc83, I'm not sure if I've explained this clearly enough or I'm not getting this so forgive me being slow on the uptake. I've got everything installed the way it was but when I try to open Cubase I get a message saying 'No licence for Cubase has been found in your account so your software cannot run.' The previous hard drive it was installed on is totally out of commission, and a new hard drive has been installed. I didn't register the software with Steinberg at the time of the original install. I've tried the link Papanate gave me, and it opens at this webpage:

If I installed from here, would it not look for a 20 digit code as part of the install?

If it doesn't, I thought I'd use the
Cubase Artist 12.0.70
updated on June 28, 2023 · Release Notes
Application708/605 MB⬇ macOS⬇ Windows

Am I right or just being desperate...?

If you don't have your Serial Number and it's not in your Steinberg Account, and you don't have the Receipt from Steinberg, or Steinberg doesn't respond to you. You're most likely SOL. Reaper is better anyhow. Install Reaper for FREE and you can probably find a Cubase Skin if the look's a dealbreaker. Best of luck.

If you don't have your Serial Number and it's not in your Steinberg Account, and you don't have the Receipt from Steinberg, or Steinberg doesn't respond to you. You're most likely SOL. Reaper is better anyhow. Install Reaper for FREE and you can probably find a Cubase Skin if the look's a dealbreaker. Best of luck.
Thanks for your comments, I have the receipt but bought it from a 3rd party retailer, and I do have the download activation code too (as I'd taken a picture of it), but not the 20 digit number......which makes me think you could be right. I've raised a request/ticket with Steinberg, but I'm thinking I'm done for....>:(

Since I started with Cubase 11, it has required a Steinberg account to activate a license. 12 was the first version you could e-license and not require a iLok dongle. The OP says they activated the software without an account. If you have the original documentation, don't you have the original activation code? If so, did you register an account and try to add the license to it? Something is really sketch about this. When Steinberg went to e-license, things got even stricter. These days it has become so you can hardly buy a plugin without creating an account to manage it.

Also note from that page you linked. "However, please note that we can provide support for the latest release only.

Since I started with Cubase 11, it has required a Steinberg account to activate a license. 12 was the first version you could e-license and not require a iLok dongle. The OP says they activated the software without an account. If you have the original documentation, don't you have the original activation code? If so, did you register an account and try to add the license to it? Something is really sketch about this. When Steinberg went to e-license, things got even stricter. These days it has become so you can hardly buy a plugin without creating an account to manage it.

Also note from that page you linked. "However, please note that we can provide support for the latest release only.
Yeah, I had 8 and 10 on e-licensers and passed them to friends when I upgraded, and it was simply plug in to a USB and off you go. I don't recall registering it as, TBH, I'm really forgetful. I've got the original download code, as I downloaded it online, but it comes up saying code already activated, or used or something.
Thanks for pointing out regards the support thing and, frankly, their support is dreadful, but I'm also to blame for not registering it....ahhh...well...

I'm not sure how you would not have registered it now that Cubase does not use the dongle. Pretty sure you would have had to register it to make it work in the first place.

You sure this isn't a pirated version?

I'm not sure how you would not have registered it now that Cubase does not use the dongle. Pretty sure you would have had to register it to make it work in the first place.

You sure this isn't a pirated version?
No, definitely not, got the receipt and the download code actual copies...

The download code will get you access to the software but you would have still had to activate the license. How was this done without an account?

If it is a case where you just don't recall setting up an account, perhaps dig through all your email accounts and search for which one you may have used to activate it. Then do a password reset to regain access to the account.

Everything you need is in the profile of the Steinberg account.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 3.28.13 PM.png

The download code will get you access to the software but you would have still had to activate the license. How was this done without an account?

If it is a case where you just don't recall setting up an account, perhaps dig through all your email accounts and search for which one you may have used to activate it. Then do a password reset to regain access to the account.

Everything you need is in the profile of the Steinberg account.

View attachment 138031
Unfortunately I've tried that with every email address I have, works one's, business one's and personal, I'm concerned I've deleted one that was gmail rather than googlemail, but I really can't remember. I'm becoming resigned to taking the hit, as Steinberg have a sale on and I could have Artist 13 for less than £200...

Unfortunately I've tried that with every email address I have, works one's, business one's and personal, I'm concerned I've deleted one that was gmail rather than googlemail, but I really can't remember. I'm becoming resigned to taking the hit, as Steinberg have a sale on and I could have Artist 13 for less than £200...
Sorry, it's just that no one here is going to have some super secret method of getting around some pretty basic requirements.

Create an account using a solid email account. (never understood people who use work email for instance). As you are the forgetful type, consider something like a password management app as well and start using it. If on Mac, Apple Keys works great across devices. PC, there are tons of apps like LastPass that also has secure notes feature. I manage hundreds of passwords with work and personal.

Top right of my BT page, under the X are 3 horizontal bars, a click opens that up to a menu and that has "passwords" in it. You might have Steinberg in there with a password to an account. AFAIK that data is in the BT "Cloud" and thus not vulnerable to a computer crash?

Dave.

. I didn't register the software with Steinberg at the time of the original install.
That’s impossible - you would have had to register the software to get it to work - Cubase won’t run without a registration - and even now if you don’t have the email address they provide ways to recover with another address- Did you buy the software on a Drive?

That’s impossible - you would have had to register the software to get it to work - Cubase won’t run without a registration - and even now if you don’t have the email address they provide ways to recover with another address- Did you buy the software on a Drive?
correct. There are two choices during install, one is to install it with its software license ( which would be steinburg license) or onto a e-license dongle. Either way, it adds the license to the account at installation.

Back