Pc Based Daw For Under $700

lost studios

Hey.
A friend of mine is looking for an audio PC for under $700. $700 would need to include:
the barebones PC (mobo, proc, ram, case & PS)
24/96 soundcard (possibly the AP2496?)
dual head video card (Matrox G-450?),
keyboard & mouse
a CD writer
1 CRT ( he already has a 2nd CRT for dual head)
80gig HD (WD JB series look nice)

he does already have:
Sonar 2.2
Reason
a 15" CRT
a floppy drive
Windows 2000 pro.

I know you can get pretty good quality rigs for cheap these days... so with that in mind...
Do you think it would be cheaper to just get some refurbished XP1800 package since he's somewhat of a beginner as far as DAW's go. Or perhaps building one would be a better idea? I've found a barebones system on Googlegear.com that looks like a good possible start. http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=154002-2400 It would leave me with $300 to play with... which is leaving this pretty tight considering I need a HD, CD-writer, keyboard, mouse, soundcard, dualheadvideo card, and a monitor still... EEK!?! :D

any suggestions or links to some track worthy PC's under $700 would be much appreciated.

thanks
ls

btw... I suppose it's important to mention that he primarily works as a hard techno producer so he doesn't need huge tracking capabilities...

Foxconn 1150 w/300PS: $37
Asus A7V8X: $63.99
AMD 1800+: $57
256MB DDR: $42
WD 80gig 7200rpm, 8MB cache: $87
ATI Radeon 7500 64MB: $45
Logitech Optical desktop: $31
Lite-On black 52x24x52 CDRW: $42.99
Echo Mia: $155.99
KDS black 17" CRT: $115

Total: $676.97

This set-up will work for sure. It's pretty much what I am running (Mia, Asus A7V8X, AMD 1800+, ATI AGP)

None of this is refurb.

Ed Dixon said:
Buy a new Dell. They range in cost from about $350 up. Then buy the extra parts needed.

Ed

Buy a Dell, deal with all their proprietary crap parts.

When you build yourself, you're always going to get better quality, and you know exactly what's on the inside.

lost studios said:
agreed polaris.
I'll second that- besides if your gonna be a serious computer user, its helpfull to be comfortable with taking them apart / putting them together. Everything is easier when you understand how things work IMO

Polaris20 said:
Buy a Dell, deal with all their proprietary crap parts.

When you build yourself, you're always going to get better quality, and you know exactly what's on the inside.

Dell uses standard stuff. I have 6 of them.

Ed

Im on a dell right now with a proprietary power supply and case configuration. WE had cut it up to stick it into a standard case w/ a beefier power supply when i unpgraded a few things. If you can build yourself- you will get more bang for your limited bucks- if you cant build on- dell will certainly provide you with a sufficient machine. ( btw the only way you would know this is a dell is to watch it boot and see the boot screen.

Ed Dixon said:
Dell uses standard stuff. I have 6 of them.

Ed

Really? Ever change the power supply?

What brand memory? What brand HD? CDRW?

It's these kinds of things that don't matter to most people, but that will be important to a DAW.

I have changed HD, CD, and other extras in every Dell I have. All new parts came from other standard vendors as Dell parts (like most PC vendors) are higher in cost.

If I were worried about the power supply, I would be sure it was large enough when purchased. I have about 14 PCs from different firms, and have never had to do anything with the power supply in any of them.

For DAW work, the main thing you need is horsepower. RAM, CPU speed, bus speed, and HD spin/transfer rate are the key players.

Ed

Ed Dixon said:
I have changed HD, CD, and other extras in every Dell I have. All new parts came from other standard vendors as Dell parts (like most PC vendors) are higher in cost.

If I were worried about the power supply, I would be sure it was large enough when purchased. I have about 14 PCs from different firms, and have never had to do anything with the power supply in any of them.

For DAW work, the main thing you need is horsepower. RAM, CPU speed, bus speed, and HD spin/transfer rate are the key players.

Ed

Sorry for the negativity towards Dell, I've just had too many issues with them when working on them. Their power supplies are proprietary, so when one goes bad, you do have to deal with Dell.

As for the HD's and all else, you're right, they're standard. Except my friend's newer Dimension wouldn't accept many brands of RAM, so he finally gave up and bought it from Dell.

I just go by what I hear and experience.

I don't see how ever buying a computer off the shelf would be better than doing it yourself.

Polaris20 said:
I don't see how ever buying a computer off the shelf would be better than doing it yourself.

I think the answer is:

1. Most folks can't build a PC that will work
2. Many that succeed end up spending more
3. No Warranty
4. No support

When I need a new PC, the first place I look is the Dell refurbished page. You can sometimes get effectively new PCs there at bargin prices, with a new PC warranty.

Having used and retired multiple PCs over the years, the things that break over time usually include:

1. Hard drive
2. CD ROM
3. Monitor
4. Motherboard

I've never lost memory, power supply, video card, modem, sound card, speakers, or network card.

I also keep everything I have behind UPS/Surge protectors.

Ed

FYI:
last month's issue of EQ had a good article on building a DAW for under $400. If I remember right, this $400 didn't included budget for a soundcard (it used onboard audio which is a bad choice)...however, you can get a audiophile 24/96 for $150 and still be under $700.

http://www.eqmag.com/

Ed Dixon said:
I think the answer is:

1. Most folks can't build a PC that will work
2. Many that succeed end up spending more
3. No Warranty
4. No support

When I need a new PC, the first place I look is the Dell refurbished page. You can sometimes get effectively new PCs there at bargin prices, with a new PC warranty.

Once again, I think you're really thinking of the general public here. Anyone who is serious about making music on a PC would either build it themselves, or they'd be going for a DAWBox, Sonica, or Carillion.

As for support, Dell's (as well as most OEM's) sucks greatly, so I really wouldn't be relying on that in the first place.

Warranty? Everything in my box has a warranty. Just take it out, send it in, get a new one or get it fixed. No big deal.

Polaris20 said:
Once again, I think you're really thinking of the general public here. Anyone who is serious about making music on a PC would either build it themselves, or they'd be going for a DAWBox, Sonica, or Carillion.

This does not match the posts I see from many new folks that quite often start out along the lines of

"I'm really a novice at this PC stuff, but want to...".

PC experts can clearly build a good machine if they want.

However many posters here and other places are not expects, by their own admission. They want to record, perhaps know their instrument well, but are not equipped to build a PC.

It's also true that many expects do not want to spend the time to order all the pieces and would just rather buy a pre-built box with good stuff inside. I have worked with a number of PC experts, and I don't know one who would build rather than buy.

In engineering this is sometimes referred to as a make/buy decision. When one consideres the cost of time, parts, testing, etc, the decision becomes clearer.

If you really want to build your own, press ahead. It's a matter of personal preference. Each time I have looked at the build option, it was always cheaper to buy the box.

Ed

i just built someone a Xp2800 machine for $610

xp2800
Abit Nf7 Nforce2 chipset
nvidia mx440 8x agp video card(64mb ddr)
512 mb pc2700DDR
80gig Western digital drive with 8mb cache
16x dvd-rom
52x24x52 CdRw
plus some more.. nice flashy case... quiet fans..

i can build your friend the same machine, or seeing that he wants a few extra things.. 24/96 card and a crt.. i'll bring the xp2800 down to a 2000 or something.. with a 2000 and the same system i just showed....mmmmmm $$470-500

c9-2001 said:
i just built someone a Xp2800 machine for $610

xp2800
Abit Nf7 Nforce2 chipset
nvidia mx440 8x agp video card(64mb ddr)
512 mb pc2700DDR
80gig Western digital drive with 8mb cache
16x dvd-rom
52x24x52 CdRw
plus some more.. nice flashy case... quiet fans..

i can build your friend the same machine, or seeing that he wants a few extra things.. 24/96 card and a crt.. i'll bring the xp2800 down to a 2000 or something.. with a 2000 and the same system i just showed....mmmmmm $$470-500

That's sounds like a nice setup! :D To clear things up... I have built about 10 audio PC's to date, but it's been about a year and half since the last build. I'm having trouble finding the best deals on individual components.... C9... where are you getting these parts?? I'm sure from all different venders, but could you point me in the right direction?

In paticular... the harddrive and CDRW/ DVD roms..?

I was looking at the Asus A7N8X deluxe- Nforce 2 mobo/chipset to lay an athlon XP processor on... This guy is primarily going to be using Acid Pro 3.0, Project 5, and Sonar 2.2 for MIDI sequencing on his Techno projects... Could he get away with the integrated sound on the A7N8X deluxe for monitoring? He just really wants to do headphone monitoring for the projects because of his living situation and it's important to remember, he is a novice and hobbyist. I don't think he'll be actually recording anything either. He's got a USB Oxygen 8 Midi Keyboard if he needs a MIDI input as well.

Oh yeah... Does anyone know if the XP2400 proc's are thoroughbred A's or B's?

thanks
ls

lost studios said:
That's sounds like a nice setup! :D To clear things up... I have built about 10 audio PC's to date, but it's been about a year and half since the last build. I'm having trouble finding the best deals on individual components.... C9... where are you getting these parts?? I'm sure from all different venders, but could you point me in the right direction?

In paticular... the harddrive and CDRW/ DVD roms..?

I was looking at the Asus A7N8X deluxe- Nforce 2 mobo/chipset to lay an athlon XP processor on... This guy is primarily going to be using Acid Pro 3.0, Project 5, and Sonar 2.2 for MIDI sequencing on his Techno projects... Could he get away with the integrated sound on the A7N8X deluxe for monitoring? He just really wants to do headphone monitoring for the projects because of his living situation and it's important to remember, he is a novice and hobbyist. I don't think he'll be actually recording anything either. He's got a USB Oxygen 8 Midi Keyboard if he needs a MIDI input as well.

Oh yeah... Does anyone know if the XP2400 proc's are thoroughbred A's or B's?

thanks
ls
my dad owns a computer company so i get any pc/components i build through him.
the A7n8x is a nice board, i find the abit NF7 to be more stable for me working under Sx and Nuendo 2. seeing that your friend is gonna be using acid,project 5 and sonar.. i don't see a need for a xp2800 machine.

as for monitorsing withthe onboard soundcard.. it does have asio drivers.. he'll be running wdm.. i'm not sure how it sounds i've never used it..

as for the xp2400.. its a Thoroughbred.. i'd spend the extra $5-10 and get the Xp2500 which has the barton core.. its a much faster cpu.

if your looking for components, i'd check newegg.com

FWIW

I have the A7N8X deluxe. Nice board. Coupla quirks I have had (very minor) include a CPU overspeed error, easily resolved, as well, the latest drivers for the onboard produced all kinds of popping nastieness, so I merely rolled them back. I did not look further into the problem than that.

I haven't really used the onboard sound for monitoring too much (not beyond the first week anyway), but I did use it for quite awhile gaming, it sounded alright, with NO pops or crackles, until I updated the drivers as stated above.

I'm an extreme novice as far as building machines goes. I built this one no sweat. OK, I had the computer store install the CPU, Heatsink, and RAM, but it really can't be that hard :D.

Ed Dixon said:

It's also true that many expects do not want to spend the time to order all the pieces and would just rather buy a pre-built box with good stuff inside. I have worked with a number of PC experts, and I don't know one who would build rather than buy.
Ed

I'm assuming you mean "experts", not "expects". I have worked with many experts, and do not know one that would ever buy a pre-built computer.

I guess it depends on where you're from.

My father is an expert, and we've never had a pre-built in our home, ever.

And the majority of people here put their stuff together, I would say, judging by my many months here. It doesn't make sense not to when it's often cheaper for the equivalent machine, and it only takes an hour.

If you can read, you can put together a computer.

Last edited:
Back