PC AV error message in Logic

glamslam

Hi all
I've just finished recording a couple of audio tracks in LAG with an Audiophile 2496 on a Pentium II with 256 MB RAM. When I playback the tracks I get the following error message:

PC AV:
System Overload.
The audio engine was not able to process all required data in time

The hard drive has been defragmented recently and there is hardly anything stored on it. The audiophile is installed properly and has no conflicts according to the device manager. It IS, however, sharing PCI slot 10 with an IRQ Holder for PCI steering. Is that OK? Does the audiophile need to be moved to another PCI slot? Could anything else be causing the problem?
THanks in advance

Have you been able to do this sort of thing w/o trouble before, or are you just now getting this system setup?

I'm no expert on this, but that PCI steering thing is nothing to worry about and you can't really control it anyway.

If you get a PC AV message, that means you're having a problem w/ your EASI driver. You may need to experiment w/ the checkbox settings under PC AV in audio>audio hardware and drivers>audio driver tab. This link should help you. It's to a specific part of Dave Bellingham's help site- the best site I've found for Logic. Unfortunately, the info. is pretty hard to find. You almost need a forum to discuss how to use the site. *Oh, shit! Forget what I just said! Looks like the FAQ is offline and it looks permanent. Damn. That was truly a great site.*

Oh well, I'll do my best:

(1)Since you've got a PII, not very fast(no offense),you should probably check "Large Disk Buffer." I'm bettin' that's the problem, so try making this one change and seein' how things go before you change anything else. With a fast CPU and hardrive, this should be unchecked.

(2)Probably should check "large process buffer" as well.

If none of that helps, you can also try switching to ASIO (my personal recommendation, though, once again, I'm no expert)in audio>audio hardware and drivers>audio driver, and audio driver 2 tabs. You'll have to uncheck PC AV and check ASIO. MOst of the boxes under ASIO are the same as EASI.

Thank you very much for your help. Yeah, I know the site is down...it's a shame since I found it very helpful when learning home recording from scratch. As for the computer, I know it's not great but I had to work with what was available to me at the time of setting up. This is actually my first time with Logic and it's slowly driving me mad...
I did try checking the Large disk buffer and large process buffer in PC AV after I had posted this thread and it DID help...the same error message still appeared but less frequently. I have now switched to ASIO and the message is yet to appear. There is, however, a crackle in the audio that sounds like a badly wired speaker when I'm on ASIO instead of PC AV. This may have to do with the fact that i'm online right now but I won't speak to soon...
Should the settings under ASIO in Audio Drivers 2 "ASIO Buffer Delay" and "Max I/O Streams" be set to any figure in particular???
Thank you once again. You guys do a lot more than the morons at Emagics tech support here in the UK.

Man, I wish I could give you an informed explanation of those settings, but I don't think that's the problem anyway. FWIW, my buffer delays are both set to 0 and I/O streams are both max. There's a Read Me file on the CDrom that explains this, though probably in the usual emagic, generic, glossed over style.

I think this is more likely just your buffer settings for your card. There's been ton's of threads here so a search will tell you much better than I can. Not sure about the audiophile but my 1010's setting is in the 'hardware settings' tab of the delta control panel. Generally speaking, higher numbers mean more latency, and lower means increased risk of "clicks and pops"(search this and you'll probably get more threads than you can read in one night). If you can monitor from your card and you uncheck software monitoring in your Logic driver tab, you probably won't have to worry about latency.

Cool that you seem to be on right track.:)

I've sorted out the buffer rates etc etc and am now recording at a latency of 28ms and a sample rate of 44,100. I've been experimenting a bit as well: I used a sampling CD and put down 4 separate audio tracks from it. They all played back absolutely fine, i.e. there were no clicks, pops or error messages. These errors that I spoke about when I first started this thread appeared when I had converted MIDI to audio. Each track that I had converted played back fine when it was soloed and there was no actual distortion on the wav file itself...problems arose when I played back more than two tracks of said audio. Does anyone have any ideas as to where things are going wrong? The processor can obviously play back several audio tracks at one time because it did so with the samples I used in the experiment ...could it be that I've recorded my own audio tracks incorrectly? HELP! I'm losing my mind...

So you're running these 4 sampled tracks successfully w/ ASIO, not EASI, right? Are the midi-to-audio tracks you can't get to work right the original ones you created in EASI? If so, did you get the "convert to ASIO?" or whatever message? Maybe there's a problem in the conversion. Try doing some similar MIDI to audio experiments w/ in brand new song.

BTW, you unchecked PC AV, right?

Yeah, I converted it all to ASIO and unchecked the PC AV box. The clicks and pops (and occasional overload error messages) still appear. What kind of experiments should I do to test recording MIDI to audio? Am I missing something basic when recording an audio track?

I only meant to try doing the same thing in a brand new song, as opposed to trying to get those previously EASI created tracks to synch up. New song, new midi, new everything just to make sure there's not something lingering from older problems or new problems created in the conversion process.

I gave it a shot but wound up with the same problems. The guy at tech support can't come up with anything since I've tweaked just about everything I know how t. Instead he was quick to say it's a hardware problem...more specifically that other stuff like my graphics card and (currently disabled) soundcard that are built into the motherboard are causing the problem. Looks like it's time for a new computer...

Back