Payment for TV music

PhiloBeddoe

My partner and I currently have a theme song played on a weekly basis on a national cable television network. The network was prompt with their upfront payment, but collecting royalties has been difficult and we don't have representation besides ASCAP and really don't know what we're doing.

For example, the show has probably aired more than 100 times in the past year but ASCAP says they have record of 6 plays. Who is most likely holding us up?

Is it a good idea to hire some type of agent to coordinate the paperwork transfers between network, producers, ASCAP or will putting pressure on ASCAP suffice?

Wow, you need to educate yourself real fast. It sounds like your missing out on royalties. Pressuring ASCAP won't help much, but do it anyway. You need to both educate yourself on that process, and get some type of management or lawyer that can help you pursue what's yours. I don't know if your show playing your music is still in sydication, but you need to find out immediately. I hope you didn't sign over exclusive rights for a one time fee.

I'm learning by fire here, but it's not out of control yet and I'm learning alot on Ascap's site. We have been paid for royalties in the past and have not signed them over. I think what is going on is that the producers are lazy in submitting cue sheets to ASCAP. The burden is on the network and the producers to submit the cue sheets.

Yeah that happens too. It's funny how when they want the music from you they move fast, and when it comes to paying you people seem to be on thier own time. I'm still waiting on money from a record that had a March release date.

man i hope u git that shit strait playa - not to be too insensitive but HOW did you get a hook up/deal/connect like that in the first place?

Back