Pay a Pro?

Irk

Why would anyone pay a professional engineer to mix something that had been recorded at home? What would be the advantage/disadvantages of this setup? And recording drums? What if everything was recorded by someone with little experience in a setting that wasn't really fair to any music and then had drums recorded in a pro-studio environment by a pro with mics I don't have? Could it match alright? S6s

Irk said:
Why would anyone pay a professional engineer to mix something that had been recorded at home?

Experience

What would be the advantage/disadvantages of this setup?

Advantage = Cheaper / Disadvantage = I can't think of any unless you got a shitty "pro" engineer...

And recording drums? What if everything was recorded by someone with little experience in a setting that wasn't really fair to any music and then had drums recorded in a pro-studio environment by a pro with mics I don't have?

As long as you tracked the other instruments right I don't see why it shouldn't...

Even if you tracked it wrong if it's anyway to make it usable the "pro" engineer should be able work with it...

Could it match alright?

That's what your paying him/her for it better... :D

it can make a huge difference.

even a crappy recording mixed properly can sound OK.

crap in = crap out

but there are many levels to crap and an experienced engineer may just take that crap to its highest possible level of craptitude.

I do a lot of mixing for other people - I even offer special rates for musicians with home-grown tracks.

Yes - there are often rescue operations I have to perform on the tracks to resurrect them, but mostly my clients are amazed at the results I get from their tracks - particularly if they've already tried to mix it themselves and came up with very little for their efforts.

Experience makes a HUGE difference, and that's exactly why you'd pay a pro to mix your stuff..........

Blue Bear Sound said:
I do a lot of mixing for other people - I even offer special rates for musicians with home-grown tracks.

Yes - there are often rescue operations I have to perform on the tracks to resurrect them, but mostly my clients are amazed at the results I get from their tracks - particularly if they've already tried to mix it themselves and came up with very little for their efforts.

Experience makes a HUGE difference, and that's exactly why you'd pay a pro to mix your stuff..........
And with that, I'd say the conversation is over... ;)

I am currently mixing a project for a band that did all of the overdubs on their own. They hired me to record the drum tracks in a pro studio. They took all the tracks home and are recording all of the overdubs on their own. After the overdubs are complete, I will mix the album. I am now starting to get the overdubs and the project is going to sound fantastic.

I think, if the budget is tight, this is a great way to work. This is a Rock N Roll project, and I think if you don't get the drums right, the whole project will suffer. Recording vocals and guitars is relatively easy when compared to getting a good drum sound. These guys are in no way experienced at home recording.

I think having a pro involved in the mix stage is well worth the price.

If you've ever wondered the difference between a "pro" mix and an amatuer mix, take a look at the Public Mix Contest 11 (or any of them). Compare the winner's mix with someone further down on the list. Everyone started with the same tracks, but there is a huge difference between the final mixes. Most of the pro's here don't even participate so the rest of us hacks have a chance at winning, so a "pro" mix should sound even better.

Where does one find Public Mix Contest 11( or any of 'em)? That sounds really Effin' interesting. BAQW

Back