patting self on back...

Poigan

i'm rather pleased with myself at the moment. i couldn't think of any where else to post this, so i'm posting it here...

i've been tinkering w/Reason and trying to teach myself how it works. i printed the entire operation manual and intro guide, but i've been figuring things out on my own. i really like this program. last night i was working out a drum pattern and accidently automated one of the controls. i already figured out how to automate the patterns, but i didn't realize i could automate the various controls in this fashion. this is probably pretty trivial to most of you, but i'm fairly excited.

the way things have been going, i feel like once i fully know how to use this software, i'll be able to do some pretty amazing things.

please excuse my excitement. :D

Last edited:
That's AWESOME!!!

You know being a newbie at this is fun. You learn something new each time you sit down with it. BEWARE!! though.......by pure accident, I learned how to lose files :eek: I'll tell you one thing............THAT forced me to learn the importance of saving files in the proper manner :rolleyes: I am having the time of my life now.

Keep at it. I found that all frustration eventually leads to a reward. :)

been tinkering w/Reason

Oh Brudduh, I know exactly what you're talking about and it ain't trivial to me :D . I printed out the operation manual also and have been messing with Reason 3.0 for a while.

I've learned to create (so far) simplistic rhythms, put some bass, strings, and various instruments on them, and record the stuff as I go. I feel like such a novice, I don't know what most of the stuff in reason does yet and my background is analog (Hammond B3, Wurlitzer piano, Moog etc) but I feel like I can create some good music with this powerful software. I'm aching to master this technology and achieve at home what would have taken a moderately well equipped recording studio not too long ago.

So you automated a control huh? Sheesh, I'n not even sure what that means :confused: but it sounds cool. I am searching the NYC area hoping to find a school or a studio that gives classes in Reason 3.0. The New School had a class called Making Music With Reason but it isn't being offered this fall :mad:

So kudos to you and keep up the good work. I can certainly relate to your sense of accomplishment and pat-on-the-back-ness! :cool:

Someday I hope to automate a control too :D

yorksrvc said:
You know being a newbie at this is fun. You learn something new each time you sit down with it. BEWARE!! though.......by pure accident, I learned how to lose files :eek: I'll tell you one thing............THAT forced me to learn the importance of saving files in the proper manner :rolleyes: I am having the time of my life now.

Keep at it. I found that all frustration eventually leads to a reward. :)

believe me, i am well aware of saving. fortunately for me, computers and their malfunctions are not strange to me since i'm a tech. what's new to me is making what i hear in my head come out from the computer. using computers to create music is allowing me to do things i've wanted to do since i was a kid but didn't have the gear or funds to access it.

<CTRL><S> is my friend. i do it rather periodically. if you ever noticed, everytime you change something in a Reason session, an asterik appears next to the file name. as long as that asterik is there, the session has not been saved yet. i try to keep the asterik M.I.A.

I learned how to automate by accident, but I liked it

I was making mixing adjustments while doing a master recording......THEN, when I played it back, after I got it the way I wanted it........the sound was going all over the place, volumes going up and down......I was watching this stuff move around and thought........what the heck is going on?!?!?! I noticed these little red indicators on the dials and slides that were moving and found out they indicated "automation". I then realized that every action I had done, while mixing, was recorded :rolleyes: Needless to say, I had to delete all automation and start over........BUT!! I learned how to automate volumes and levels, if wanted instruments to fade in or out while playing back.........automatically...........yep!! It :) was cool!!

and you're right about saving.........I picked up that habit quickly :D

that's funny, 'cause that's almost exactly what happened to me. i had just finished working some pattern variations and went to play the track when everything started playing all over the place. i noticed the green highlight and recognized it from the automation on the patterns. now i'm geeked 'cause i was trying to figure out how to automate my mix on a different track the other day so it would fade out and now i can.

Back