Patchbays: Do I need one, and if so, how do I set one up?

randyfromde

Hey everyone-

Right now, I've got a decent setup that I record with. Currently, I have a 2 channel preamp through a 2 channel compressor into my 2 channel Audiophile 24/96. The 24/96 out goes directly to my speakers.

As I have my setup right now, I only use the compressor as a noise gate/hard limiter for input tracking. I only need two input channels (singer/songwriter material only). After the tracks are in the computer, I use software plugins.

My question is this:

I generally use compression, reverb, and some EQ when I record. I already own the compressor. How can I use that after the tracks are in the computer? Also, I figure that buying a rackmount reverb could give me different/better sound than what I have now, same with an rackmount EQ. How would I hook those up, trying to buy minimal equipment (other than the rackmount effects of course).

Is it a patchbay that's my answer?

On a 2-channel card, you're probably not going to make it happen (depending on how you can set it up anyway).

You need to go out of the channel(s) into the processor and back.

As far as patch bays are concerned, I wouldn't worry about it until you've got too much geat to work with efficiently. They're hardly ever an absolute must, but they certainly come in handy when you're using a lot of outboard / preamps / etc.

For the most part, a decent bay will cose you around $100. CABLING for the bay will set you back around $300 - IF you go the cheap route.

Interesting.

How do you think the cheapest way to get into using rack effects would be, given my current setup? It's almost as if I can "see" the answer in my head, but the necessary connections is what has me worried.

How about a 4 Channel+ sound card. Record into Inputs 1&2.....route outputs 1&2 through the rack, to print effects on tracks 3&4?

Something like that?

Okay, thanks. One more question....

With the setup you've described, there's no way to keep from switching cables in the back all the time if I want to use the compressor on the way in and after the fact? Is that where a patchbay would come in handy?

Yup. But it's kind of an "all or nothing" situation... You'll need to have your in's & out's going to it, the outboard gear, etc.

Thanks a lot for your help!

I think my easiest/lowbuck solution right now is keep my existing equipment setup as it is, get a soundcard with more channels, and use compression in the software until I buy an 'after the fact' compressor. No messing with cables that way! Then later down the road, I'll get a 2nd 2 channel compressor and have one on each side of the input/output chain.

Back