Patch bays

The last one...RCA and TRS is what I will get...
Thanks for searching that out...

Guys...thanks again...
I'm going forward...looking for a used PB on eBay...
And will get new patch cords from Amazon...

This was, I think my 4th or 5th post on this forum...and each time I have been amazed at the
response and help I've received...

An outstanding forum populated by outstanding people...!!!

I need to get a patch bay and don;t know what to get...
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction...

Here is what i have...
Several analog devices...
Turntable...
CD player...
Cassette deck...
R2R tape deck...
DAT deck...
Onkyo reciever...
Computer audio inputs...
3 separate speaker systems

All my devices have RCA outputs...
My PC audio card runs RCA and mini stereo inputs...

What I want to be able to do is plug my various devices into various devices...
Example...
Turntable to receiver...or turntable to PC audio input to digitize an LP...for example...
R2R to receiver or PC audio in...
DAT to R2R or cassette to R2R...
Receiver to one of several speaker systems...3 different speakers in my workroom plus 2 other speaker systems
in other parts of the house...

What I am doing...
I digitize old analog sources, and DAT and make CD's for some bands in the area...
They may give me old LP's, DAT, cassette or R2R and I digitize them and produce quality audio CD's...with artwork...

So...I'm finding that I'm switching stuff around all the time...crawling in the back of the PC or the receiver etc etc...

So I thought a patch bay would help...
I would like RCA on the back and 1/4 on the front...

Now...do I need balanced, or unbalanced...
Do I need normal, half normal or thru....(I suspect thru but I don;t know)...

My longest cable run...of any kind...is maybe 8 feet...

I want to use 1/4 patch cords as I suspect they are the strongest...short lengths...maybe 2 ft or so...

So...appreciate any suggestions...
Brands, models etc...

Many thank...
Steve

Hi Steve,
If I'm understanding your needs, you just want to connect RCA unbalanced and 1/8" TRS to each other in a very flexible arrangement, right?

If so, I think I have a cheap and easily available solution. For many years, Radio Shack sold a selector that connects 3 devices to a "Receiver" (any tape loop, so really it connects 4 devices to each other). The purpose was to extend the tape loop capability of an amp or receiver (also to facilitate dubbing between devices).

These are small plastic boxes, roughly 1/3 of a rack space (though other companies sold the same tool in other configurations and other materials like metal), though unfortunately AFAIK there weren't any set up to mount in a rack.

These have selector switches that can be set to connect the devices in any combination. I use several of these to do some of the same duties you are looking to accomplish.

If this might work for you, I suspect you could buy them cheaply on ePay (I'm lucky to have a major swap meet nearby, so I've found them for a buck or two each).

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

Hi Dverno...
Thanx for the reply...
I had looked at a couple of switches you suggest...not the old Radio Shack ones...but other switchable devices that perform essentially the same function you are using your switches for...

And I think I don't get enuf versatility with a switch or two...I may be wrong...probably am....but as I think this thru I don't see unlimited versatility...
I can see a switch running 4-5 different things into my amp...but what happens if I want one of those devices plugged into the switch to go to my PC audio in card...

I put in a bid on a 32 port RCA in and RCA out patch bay...If I get it then I'll experiment and see what happens...

Many thanx...
Steve

My 2 cents...

For my two cents ... I use a Behringer 2000 patch bay and Behringer MINI MON MON800 Ultra-Compact Stereo Monitor Matrix Mixer for the best of both worlds. I run my keyboards, bass and several synth modules through a 16 ch rackmount line mixer into one of the source inputs in the Mini Mon. My stereo receiver with my turntable into goes into another source input. The patchbay has most routing normaled (compressor, eq, reverbs and processors) and a couple of "y"s. I agree, more routing is never a bad thing. If I expand much more I'll need another patchbay. I drew schematics and listed all inputs and outputs for all my current and wished for equipment and ordered a slew of compatible cables from Hosa. I still made some cables but things like short snakes for my keyboard setup to the mixer is much easier.

Ronhar...
Did a little reading on the MON800...looks interesting...
I feel like such a dummy about this stuff...
Never set up anything like this before...
I need a Audio for Dummies book...:>)

I'm getting a patch bay...I'll experiment with it for a while...then look at adding the MON800 or something similar...

Thanx for your input...
Steve

Folks...
I have one final question...

I got a Tascam patch bay...32 ports...

I'm getting ready to buy my TLR to RCA cords...

1. Do I get one cord for left and one cord for right channel...

OR...

2. Do I get a cord with one TLR and 2 RCA's...making it a stereo plug...
I don;t think this one is the correct one...

I think I need #1 but want to confirm...

Folks...
I have one final question...

I got a Tascam patch bay...32 ports...

I'm getting ready to buy my TLR to RCA cords...

1. Do I get one cord for left and one cord for right channel...

OR...

2. Do I get a cord with one TLR and 2 RCA's...making it a stereo plug...
I don;t think this one is the correct one...

I think I need #1 but want to confirm...

One cable for each stereo connection to the back of the patch bay: dual RCA on one end to single TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) on the other.

Back