Passive speaker attenuation?

thane1200

Medicated Member
Hey guys, I just found a pair of 10" PA speakers/monitors at GoodWill $14.99! They work fine and look ok. One problem; I only have one amp for my small PA system and want to independly control their volume (for use as DJ monitors) while daisy-chained to the mains. I was thinking about some sort of built in attenuator on each monitor to at least increase resistance/lower volume so I don't blow out my ears with the monitors close to my head.

Any ideas? Will this be feasable or should I just buy a cheap low power amp?

I've used those type pots and they work fine. The only thing is that you're basically throwing away power with them, but if you've got the headroom in your pa it shouldn't be a problem.

The more "pro" way would be of course to have a separate amp but for small gigs you can do things you can't at big gigs.

One nice thing about what you're suggesting is that each musician can have convenient control over their monitor.

Thanks guys, that's about what I'm looking for. I know its not ideal, but will work for may application. I'll probably make some nice plates for them and add speak-on jacks to have more options than just the 1/4"

I'll post pics of the mod when I get started.

Thanks guys, that's about what I'm looking for. I know its not ideal, but will work for may application. I'll probably make some nice plates for them and add speak-on jacks to have more options than just the 1/4"

I'll post pics of the mod when I get started.

Don't worry about it being non-ideal; I have a set of Peavey wedges that was supplied with such pots. I've pretty much never used them, but that's not the point; they work fine.

Back