Passive monitors

LeadPaint

I have been using ancient Hitachi speakers for quite a while and I would like to replace them with some more serious studio monitors.

My dad gave me his old amplifier, an NAD 3225PE, which I believe is quite alright. That's why I thought of getting passive monitors. I was looking at Thomann.de and I noticed they have no passive monitors with woofers larger than 6". I read a thread about 5" vs 6" and I guess I'll be fine with 6" without a subwoofer.

The KRK R6 RoKit caught my attention. I've heard good things about KRK and at €166 a piece I think they are very reasonably priced.

-Should I consider different brands selling passive monitors?
-Should I consider active monitors?

More information about my amp: NAD3225PE

Even though that is a seemingly nice amp, it isn't very powerful. All the active monitors I can think of have three or four times the power. That power is necessary for clean reproduction.

But it depends on your budget.

If you're not cranking the hell out of 'em, it'll probably do you okay for a while though -- It's not "high power" enough to some extent, but it's "NAD power" (as opposed to how liberally some amp mfg's rate their power amps).

Even though that is a seemingly nice amp, it isn't very powerful. All the active monitors I can think of have three or four times the power. That power is necessary for clean reproduction.

But it depends on your budget.
I don't know how much I'm ready to spend yet, but I don't mind paying a bit extra for better quality. I was just looking around and saw the active version costs only €23 more per piece for the RP6 RoKit G2 and €43 for the RP6 RoKit G3.

I don't know whether high power is a necessary for my needs, or the active versions outperform a passive set up.

That gets into tricky-ville...

I'm generally a big fan of passive speakers (that said, I'm a pretty f'in particular type when it comes to speakers in general). SOME active speakers are obvious high-quality, well-matched with their amplifiers, quality components, etc. (Genelec, Barefoot, some Dyanaudio, some of the higher-end KRK's, etc.). Others are cheap boxes with cheap components and even cheaper amplification circuitry.

In your case, if you have a nice amp (it's not a powerhouse, but it's a "real" amp), I'd just plug it in and go.

There's a reason the difference is only €43.

Haven't thought about it like that. I guess I should just go and buy those passive KRKs. I haven't seen anything similar in that price class.

I prefer passive-aggressive monitors. :eek:
Hahaha!
Just a point to add - not sure about the power of that amp, but many suggest mixing/mastering at lower volumes than higher, so it might be just right for that, although you'd most likely want the option of as much volume as you'd like anyways for various reasons.

Like when I drum on my V-drums, I like my Event ASP 6's to be up quite a bit.

But I'll mix at a lower volume as advised.

I'll also be adding an Avantone Cube or maybe even 2.

Haven't decided active or passive yet though.

In hind-site, an amp would have been the way to go with 2 sets of passive speakers, because the active ones require a power cord spot to plug in for each.

So that's 4 vs. just one for the amp.

This may not sound like that big of a deal until you have about 30 things to plug in.

Then every outlet/power bar space starts to count as 'precious real estate' & can quickly add up.

Just sayin'...

Back