Passive and Powered Floor Monitors for Live Sound

but unless you simply MUST drive several speakers, and just can NOT afford more amps, it is not worth the trouble. Trust me on this.

Another thing to consider is whether you need a lot of volume or just a bunch of speakers. 16 ohm wedges can fix the latter problem; the former one has to be solved by speakers + amps.

In the case of Bose sticks you are paying for marketing. You can get a conventional system that outperforms the Bose stick for half, or even a third of, the price.

Well like I said I've had both and now I have what I have.
Which type/make of conventional system are you referring to just wedges?

:cool:

Well like I said I've had both and now I have what I have.
Which type/make of conventional system are you referring to just wedges?

Well, if it's just for a monitor I can see how the L1 may be useful. Having it close to the listener mitigates the problem with too much reflected sound, and the wide dispersion becomes an advantage if you have to share it with others.

I have mostly Yamaha wedges, though some are rebuilt with different components. My SM15IVs have no trouble keeping up with a rock band. I once made a drummer jump off his throne when I put a little too much kick in his mix.

Well, if it's just for a monitor I can see how the L1 may be useful. Having it close to the listener mitigates the problem with too much reflected sound, and the wide dispersion becomes an advantage if you have to share it with others.

I have mostly Yamaha wedges, though some are rebuilt with different components. My SM15IVs have no trouble keeping up with a rock band. I once made a drummer jump off his throne when I put a little too much kick in his mix.

HA HA HA ... this is always a good thing. :laughings:

Yeah the Bose are a 180 dispersion which some times helps out the mains as well. Being behind the mains and shooting straight across the stage at each other the sound spills out into the audience and act as a center fill.
This is great in a few local theaters that have a wicked wide stage opening.
;)

:cool:

Hi,

Does anyone know if the monitor and stereo output on the tascam 2488 neo works with passiv speakers or only activ ?

if only activ, any suggestion for an amp ? (looking to buy 2 speakers for the rehersal room, I think 200W would be fine)

Thanks

Hi,

Does anyone know if the monitor and stereo output on the tascam 2488 neo works with passiv speakers or only activ ?

if only activ, any suggestion for an amp ? (looking to buy 2 speakers for the rehersal room, I think 200W would be fine)

Thanks

It's a line level output. There has to be an amp one way or another. Active speakers have amps in them. Passive speakers need a separate amp to drive them.

Hi,

Actualy the answer was prety clear ;)

Does anybody has any suggestion for activ speakers that I can use in the rehersal room, I think 200W would be ok, but there are so many of them and for all prices... I have many effects in my mixer so I guess I need basic ones.

Thanks!

This is just for rehearsal? Then go for a used pair of active mackies they will be cheap enough and will get the job done.

;)

Back