Partitioning???

Tchara

hi

I just bought n-track, and it seems to be worth the registration fee. It has froze up on me a couple of times, but I believe it was more my system , then n-track.

I'm using a 300 AMD-K6, with 64 megs of ram.
My sound card is just a regular old ensoniq sound card.

I read an earlier post, discussing hard drive partitioning. What is it, and what dos it do?

I have two hard drives. Would I be better off running two OS, with one exclusively for n-track?

Well, what hard-drive partitioning does is divides the space of one disk, and allows it to act as two. Because of the way cluster sizes are treated by modern operating systems (i.e. Windoze) it is always beneficial to partition the hard-drive, as you can gain room that was only being wasted before. As for a dual-boot scenario, it is obviously the best idea, but it depends on how serious you are with this. If recording is merely a passtime, trying to get TWO Microsoft products to work concurrently is sometimes quite the headache. But the rewards do make it worth it ... especially if one of the OS's (the one you'll record with) happens to be NT.

Okay, here's where it gets tricky ... you have two options. Do you want to keep what's already on your hard drive? In that case, you can't use FDISK, which is the partitioning utility that comes with DOS/Win. What you -can- do though, is go out and buy a program called PartitionMagic, and although I much prefer FDISK (mainly because I've been using it since its debut) PartitionMagic is a wonderful program ... it'll let you take your free space and make a seperate partition out of it.

Back