Parting with gear is such sweet sorrow...

jjones1700

Learning, always learning
Well, I said goodbye to my favorite piece of gear today and watched my 388 leave to go to it's new home. I was hesitant on selling it, but I knew in all reality I wouldn't really ever use it again. If I ever do any personal stuff, my pair of 424mkII will do the job handily, as I won't be putting out any albums to speak of. It didn't sting near as much as watching somebody else riding away on my former motorcycle, but I will definitely be raising a beer in remembrance of a great machine. I guess this means that my TSR-8 won't be hard to part with after that. LOL Oh well. Just felt like posting the sad news.

Must of been hard.I don't think I could do it.

I've given it alot of thought and just couldn't justify holding onto a great piece of gear if I truly wasn't going to use it. Lack of use can't be good for the thing. I figured the caps, belt, rubber, and who knows what else would deteriorate if I kept it, so why not sell it to someone who appreciates it and wants to use it?

I've given it alot of thought and just couldn't justify holding onto a great piece of gear if I truly wasn't going to use it. Lack of use can't be good for the thing. I figured the caps, belt, rubber, and who knows what else would deteriorate if I kept it, so why not sell it to someone who appreciates it and wants to use it?

Dude, if only I could part with half the stuff I might use someday.

Well, I parted with my TSR-8, M2516, and MTS-1000 this afternoon. It's going to a good home in Austin. I think I might get visitation rights. LOL

Hey Pete! Well, I was running out of room too, but unfortunately I wasn't using any of it. So, I decided to clean out the 'ol closet. Now if I could just clean out my office and garage of random crap...

Good for you, jjones...I was totally fine watching my 388 go down the road...the buyer was totally stoked and I was too having cash in hand to get something for my wife for our anniversary that I knew she'd NEVER ask for and would never buy for herself but totally wanted...polar opposites. It was right and good. I'm glad to have had the experience with the 388 but it just totally made no sense to keep it.

So what else do you still have? The Studiomaster 16 x 8 board? Any recorders? Probably at least one of the MD decks? You still playing guitar?

Good for you, jjones...I was totally fine watching my 388 go down the road...the buyer was totally stoked and I was too having cash in hand to get something for my wife for our anniversary that I knew she'd NEVER ask for and would never buy for herself but totally wanted...polar opposites. It was right and good. I'm glad to have had the experience with the 388 but it just totally made no sense to keep it.

So what else do you still have? The Studiomaster 16 x 8 board? Any recorders? Probably at least one of the MD decks? You still playing guitar?

Hey Cory! Ever since the gear left my residence, I haven't really missed it. Then again, I don't do much recording at all now, so that might be part of it. My 5 year old takes up all my free time with martial arts, baseball, and who knows what else from day to day. I imagine at some point if I ever do decide to do any analog recording (past the capabilities of my 424mkII), I'll kick myself a little bit for letting the 388 go, but I'll cross that bridge if I get to that point.

I've come full circle and getting back into photography, which I've been into since I was very young. Kind of similar to analog equipment, I can get some of the lenses and equipment for cheap now that I could only dream of when i worked at various camera stores and photo labs 20 or so years ago. I still prefer film, but shoot digital for the day to day stuff, so analog isn't totally lost on me.

I've still got the Studiomaster 16x8. A friend of mine in Austin has it (along with my DP-02CF) to do some voice work and such. I didn't need two mixers sitting here (at the time), so I told her she could use it for as long as she likes. I am keeping my Pioneer RT-909 (2 of them, actually), Teac A4300SX, 424mkII (2 of 'em), 122b, and Nak MR-2. Until they a band in Austin comes back to pick up the 32, I still have it hanging around as well. Oh yeah, and you are correct, I do still have the MD-801RmkII, although the transport is messing up, but didn't they all?? I also have a DA-88, but it never worked since the time I got it, cheap, so I figure someone will want it for parts someday. Also hanging around is the DP-004. So as you can see, I still have plenty of stuff, but at least either somebody is putting some of it to good use, or I at least fire something up from time to time to use it on occasion. The only thing that I can say that I do want in the future is a Porta Two.

That's my story, what have you decided on your equipment? Sounds like you are either shelving or parting with some of it.

I sold my Tascam 38 I bought new in the early 80's. The hardest part was just putting the 'for sale' sign on it. That went about 2 wks ago. Can't seem to sell the DBX 150 units though... listed several times on Ebay.

The 22-2 still sits in the closet, cause too many tapes there too. Why sell it for $100, if I only play tapes once more, some odd evening.

But it was the 3340 that was my pal... gone many years ago.

Funny thing selling the 38. Some knucklehead kept asking me all these stupid questions, how was I packing it, et, etc... some of the stupid stuff I've read on forums and this was just regurgitated. They guy wasn't going to buy it, but wanted to tell me how to quadruple box it and wanted to know what shape was my pinch roller in.... like that was the ONLY deciding factor..... If 'he' is reading this... meh...!!

The only annoying thing for me about selling the 388 some time back was the loss of access to those 8-track multitracks. Not like I wouldn't be better off to just do new recordings even if I'm using those older ideas. In hindsight, I wish I had kept the Otari 4-track all these years and just kept everything on one format, but I wasn't thinking about such things at the time. Hopefully, now I'll have sense enough to keep working on the 1/2" 8-track for a good long time.

In the mean time, I'm trying to put some of the mikes I don't use into other hands. The RE-55s ship out tomorrow and I'm looking for a home for an AKG D19.

Cheers,

Otto

Back