Part Two: Adding guitars to the mix.

Daniel | Davis

(Continued from this thread.)

Added two guitar tracks. Excuse the little mistakes (specifically from 0:40 to 0:50), I'm going to do some more punch ins tommorow. Nothing applied to any of the tracks except some slight panning in the guitars. Drums are still DFH, on the "Roomy" setting with the kick mic level boosted a bit and the overhead mic level cut a little.

Is there a way to get my guitars to sound less "dry" and sterile? It could be that I used a cheapo guitar for the tracking, but I enjoy the amp very much. I think I might re-track with the Les Paul this weekend. I was hesitant to use it as this guitar parts are all in an alternate tuning. I also wasn't expecting too good results anyway with my limited mixing knowledge. However, what do you think the next step in the mic would be here?

http://tindeck.com/listen/sonl

edit: Also, just out of curiosity, I took that same mix and put it through a Mastering preset in Logic just to see what it'd do. I'm not too sure that I like it very much, but I have no idea what I'm talking about with a lot of this stuff! ;)

http://tindeck.com/listen/fycy

edit2: Also, ignore that sloppy repeated lick at the end. I'm going to punch in a better take of that too, and when I'm finally happy with the mixdown (and add vocals) I'm going to automate a fade-out into the next song. You can even hear the goofy sequenced MIDI scratch tracks fading in at the end.

Last edited:
what tuning are you playing in. that's a really cool guitar lick. Anyway the recording sounds pretty good imo. i don't like the drums, but if all you got to work with is programmed drums oh well. i play with a drummer that always plays that sort of beat that you have in the beginning of the song whenever we're just jamming. i bet he'd like playing drums for something like this.

Anyway, about the dry guitars what exactly do you think they need? by dry do mean they need reverb? actually now that i think of it maybe running it through a chorus pedal or maybe a flanger could add to that hypnotizing vibe that this song has.

what tuning are you playing in. that's a really cool guitar lick. Anyway the recording sounds pretty good imo. i don't like the drums, but if all you got to work with is programmed drums oh well. i play with a drummer that always plays that sort of beat that you have in the beginning of the song whenever we're just jamming. i bet he'd like playing drums for something like this.

Anyway, about the dry guitars what exactly do you think they need? by dry do mean they need reverb? actually now that i think of it maybe running it through a chorus pedal or maybe a flanger could add to that hypnotizing vibe that this song has.

Thanks dude! It's basically Open D for that track, some of the other songs have other tunings. Great for soulless tapping and wankery. :cool: I actually decided to retrack all of the bass, since I needed to isolate the amp better from a noisy old rattling heater. I'm going to track all of the guitars again tommorow with my Les Paul instead-and see if it's just a tone thing!

Definitely a cool track...but the drums seem too mushy/robotic.

The overall mix sounds good...the hi hats and ride are really coming through, you may want to turn them down to make sure we can hear the guitar (which is supposed to be the star of the song, yeah?)

Good tune man!

Back