Parametric EQ how much Hi/Low Pass?

etnoziroh

I'll try to be as clear as I can.

I read on another post it helps to sweep a Hi pass until you hear an audible difference and backing off a little. Same goes for Low Pass. Removing inaudible frequencies for that instrument that may mud up the mix.

My question is when doing a Hi pass on the first (parameter? Channel?) which is down by the 15zh - 60hz range. Do you lower it to the lowest db (around -22db) first for total cut and then sweep up or should you leave it at 0db and sweep?

Same question for Low pass on the last hi frequency (parameter? Channel?)

Am I making any sense? :o

Thanks

Um, if you leave it at 0dB you won't be able to hear what you're doing with the frequency sweep. I'd turn both the frequency and the gain all the way down, then sweep the frequency up until I can hear the effect of the filter.

That's assuming I understand your question correctly. :)

I did a test, I put the first EQ at about 30hz and 0db and selected it as "High Pass". The curve appeared. I moved only the gain from the lowest to highest gain maintaing the frequency the same. There was no change in the curve at all! I never noticed this before because I made all my changes by mouse and I guess the "sway" of the curve due to mouse movements being so imprecise threw me off. Using only the gain settings gave me the real story. A Hi or Low pass means everything below or above that freqency independent of the gain I guess :confused: even though there is a curve :confused: .

Thanks DonF

the pass filters are tweeked from the frequency and lower (for HP) and higher(for LP)

so if the freq is at 100hz on a HP , it starts from 100hz and gets lower. If it has a gain setting it may be for the curve downwards i.e. hard cut of roll off.

for the range to HP, its really up to what is needed. The minimum (IMO for a DAW) for all tracks sans kick & bass is about 30hz to 100hz for mixing. But it depends on whats really going on instrumentation wise and how its was recorded.

High pass and low pass filters have a slope. Sometimes it's 12db per octave, sometimes it's 18db per octave. There is no way to just slice off everything below or above a certain frequency. The gain control comes into play when you are using a shelving EQ or a parametric.

Back