PARAGON cymbals

Drummer706

AOD AND SANCTIFIED
Hey guys i know most of you have heard about the paragon cymbals. well i went 2 gc and i played a kit with paragon cymbals. let me tell u they are pretty awesome. im not crazy about them but they have nice sounds.

I played a few of these cymbals, mixed reaction. Some of the cymbals sounded kind of dead/dull to my ears, I wasn't such a big fan of the ride, the chinas were pretty average. I like some of the splashes though.

I agree. I think you're better off with a line up that offers more versatility as well as sizes. The Paragon cymbals are okay, but i would rather prefer Zildjians. I'm not a big Sabian fan, but again, that's just me.

When a company charges more for something just because someone endorses it, deters me from buying it. Just because Neil Peart plays these, doesn't mean they're great.

I played them when the first came out, and I was less than impressed. They really did a poor job with these. And for 1900 bucks to get the whole set breaks down to paying 200 bucks for an 8 and 10" splash? Doesn't make monetary sense to me. But, I'm just a drummer, what do I know.

Yes they are a little overpriced. but i think they are o.k. i personally wouldnt buy them but they are alright.

i thought i'd already posted this, but apparently not :D

i'm the first one to ignore something just b/c of it being endorsed. and i'm a rush fan. but i have no desire to buy these just b/c neil designed em. certainly that would make me more interested in seeing what they sound like, but purchasing is always done upon merits.

so let's keep in mind that these cymbals were patterned after those on neil's kit and designed to his specs to sound like them. as such, they're best suited for what he does, and that's within the context of Rush's music. the majority of neil's cymbals were older zildjian a's and wuhan chinas, and neil's desires may or may not be the same as what you want out of a cymbal. i think these new cymbals are accurate recreations of those tonal aspects, and in that regard, sabian did a good job.

and please understand, i don't look at cymbals as "sets", but as a collection (palate) of tones that i can employ on a variety of musical occasions. from that aspect, i really liked some of the cymbals in this line. i really liked the 16in crash--it's everything a 16 rock crash should be. and i loved the 22in ride. it's bigger than i like in a ride, but for an a-style ride, i thought it had a fantastic sound--great wash, shimmering overtones and a bell that would really cut through when you dig into it, and still not gongy in the least--i wouldn't crash on it, though. i really dug the splashes and the 19in china was really trashy....not something i'd use often, but trashy.

i did NOT like the hihats. either set. can't put my finger on it, but something disagreed with me. maybe they were too meaty for me. maybe they were a little too much like an old set of new beats that had just had the grime removed from em. i dunno, but it was something. the 18 and 20in crashes were just too BIG and too MUCH for my liking. likewise with the 20in china. i like smaller, punchier, darker crashes and 18s are usually too much in any line anyway.

i can easily see myself adding a couple of these to my set at some point, but not until after the initial hype and sales push are over and the prices go down some. $80 for a splash? you bet. that's about what the K's are going for. the effects pack looks right up my alley. but why would i possibly want to buy the whole set at 2K? i have no need for that--still, nice to see they offer that sort of thing--i bet the collector types would be more into that than the regular joe drummer types.

i think, more than anything though, is that i'm looking forward to seeing how these sound on rush's upcoming tour and album (assuming he uses em).

cheers,
wade

If you're looking for something out of the ordinary, I would suggest checking out/investing in Zildjian's ZXT Trashformer. Not a lot money, but one heck of an FX cymbal! It's very trashy.

not a fan AT ALL of the trashformer. it's like they took a cymbal that got run over by a truck, straightened it out a little and called it an "effect cymbal". ;-)

not at all my cup of tea. :D

wade

Back