panning whilst bouncing

johnny j

on a MD8 ive used up all tracks and now iwant to bounce the vocals on tracks 1 and 3 to track 3. these are to be my backing vocals and with the new free available track im going to do a main vocal.

heres my question. whilst im boucing can i vary the panning? during the verses i want the backing vocals to be panned left and right, but during the chorus i want them to be panned centrally. can i do this? and if so how? many thanx

:D Yo Johnny with a "J":}

I have an MD8 in my vault--replaced it with digital.

If I remember right: you can do your bounce. As I read your post you will bounce back-up vocal on track 1 TO track 3 to free up a track for a "main vocal."

Do that. Then, do your main vocal. When you mix to your stereo two track, just listen with the cans, AFTER YOU HAVE SET ALL THE FADERS VIA MONITORS, and when you want the tracks on track 3 to go left, turn the pan dial for track 3 left, then turn it all the way right when you want it to go to the right side. This should work.

But, remember, when you bounce tracks, you can only control the volume and eq on track 3; so, try to bounce the track with the right balance of eq and reverb. Or, you can add reverb to the track when you mix to stereo.

It would be better to avoid bouncing as that would let you set each track exactly the way you want it before you mix to stereo/two track for CD or tape.

Green Hornet :eek: :D :cool: :D

many thanx green hornet, i'll take your info on board however i didnt quite explain what i want to do correctly, so i'll try again

when im bouncing the vocals on tracks 1 and 3 together onto track 3, i want track 1 on the hard left and track 3 on the hard right during the verses, but in the chorus i want them both panned centrally.

but it seems to me from the instructions that when im bouncing i have to have the pans set to hard left (as tracks 1 and 3 are odd so have to be panned left) and that im not supposed to alter the pan during the actual bounce, but wont this just put the two voices centrally onto track 3?

ive has the md8 for about two years and upto now ive always managed to avoid bouncing as i dont like to lose individual control of tracks. but for this particluar song theres no other way as all the other tracks are full up with other stuff. if i cant change the panning during the bouce i'll just go for two voices instead of three

i hope this makes sense and i hope someone out there knows the answer! many thanxs in advance

Back