panning the drums in a 4-mic setup

pepsodent

simple question! i use a 4-mic setup (bass, snare 2 overheads). how much should i pan my overhead to get that stereo image of the drums and will my toms be panned properly too or do i have to get separate mics for the toms to pan them?

With 2 (stereo) OHs, I usually find it suitable to just pan the left mic about 70-80% Left, and the right the same. Some times going 100% to each mics corresponding side will do the trick. It's just a matter of preference. I just like having a bit of "bleed" from the left and right to fill the center.

Depends a lot on what overhead configuration you're using and what sound you want. With an XY setup, you might pan wider than with a spaced pair setup. If you have placed the overheads well, you shouldn't need additional tom mics, except maybe for reinforcement. Listen to some records you like and check how the drums are panned.

Make sure there's agreement with all the different mics as to location in the stereo field. If you've got the snare sounding just left of center in the overheads, don't pan the snare track right of center. Same goes for toms. A roll around the toms should sound as wide in the individual track pannings as in the overheads.

Back