Panning Overdubs and ?

SwurVe

Ok so this guy is sending me his whole album tomix for him....Now I am doing it for FREE to just gain more and more experience with mixing...I would consider myself to be getting better and better with every song i mix...i understand eq and compression and all that pretty good but the part that still kills me is panning....so heres the deal

on this guys songs he did a MAIN VOCAL LAYER, BACKUP VOCAL LAYER, and OVERDUBS.....so how should i pan this

Would it be like this BACKUP VOCAL LAYER LEFT 25 / MAIN VOCAL IN MIDDLE / OVERDUBS RIGHT 25

or will that not be good.....because he only did one vocal layer....but next time i told him to do 2....n for when he does 2 next time how do i still pan the only one layer of overdubs....thank you

the overdubs are just overdubbing important words its hiphop music....

so he did a main vocla layer...and then a backup vocla layer maybe farther away from the mic n stuff and then overdubs of just important words...

Swerve,

There's only one way to find out the right answer...start mixing! Don't wait for us jamokes a thousand miles away with no idea what your tracks actually sound like to try and blindly guess at what is going to sound right.

Throw the tracks up there and start trying different schemes and see what is blatently wrong and what seems to work kind of, and fine tune it from there. That's no different from what any of the rest of us do. The only difference is those with more experinece might know after hearing the raw tracks what almost certainly will not work. But even that can't be devined without hearing what we have to work with first.

Listen to the Nike commercials... :)

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
Swerve,

There's only one way to find out the right answer...start mixing! Don't wait for us jamokes a thousand miles away with no idea what your tracks actually sound like to try and blindly guess at what is going to sound right.

Throw the tracks up there and start trying different schemes and see what is blatently wrong and what seems to work kind of, and fine tune it from there. That's no different from what any of the rest of us do. The only difference is those with more experinece might know after hearing the raw tracks what almost certainly will not work. But even that can't be devined without hearing what we have to work with first.

Listen to the Nike commercials... :)

G.

Pretty much what I was going to say but I didn't want to come off negative.

For the love of God, start mixing.

And this guy's trusting you with his album???

Im no beginner in mixing lol....this guy is my friend and ive done work for him before....i can eq compress all that....just really the thing i want to make sure i do right is panning.....Im no expert in mixing eitehr but im just askin whats normally done....

SwurVe said:
Im no beginner in mixing lol....

I don't believe you....

Proove it...

Mix the song and stick it in the mp3 clinic...

Put up or shut up!

How's that for motivation... :D

SwurVe said:
im just askin whats normally done....
There is no pat answer or one-size-fits-all recipe. What's normally done is to listen to what's there to be mixed and then make a plan of attack and execute it. "Hmmm...track 1 would sound good there with track 2 balancing it over there but hold off on track 3 until the 4th measure..." etc.

For the hip hop vocals, listen to the tracks and get a feel for how they relate:"OK, track 6 is the clean lead, 7-11 sound like the backups and 12-15 are the overdubs for emphasis. Let me start with track 6 here because that sounds good against the backing instruments. OK, Good. Now, where and how would the backup vocals sound with this? Let me try this. OK, now that might sound good with some reverb. Ah ha, now maybe..." etc.

That's EXACTLY what's normally done. :)

G.

hmm id say not to stick everthing right on top of everything or dont hard pan everything. thats about the only advice i could give you without hearing the tracks. its pretty impossible for anyone to know how to pan a bunch of tracks without hearing them. there are no set guidlines for panning. pan it till it finds a hole. keep the pans from phasing each other out.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
There is no pat answer or one-size-fits-all recipe. What's normally done is to listen to what's there to be mixed and then make a plan of attack and execute it. "Hmmm...track 1 would sound good there with track 2 balancing it over there but hold off on track 3 until the 4th measure..." etc.

For the hip hop vocals, listen to the tracks and get a feel for how they relate:"OK, track 6 is the clean lead, 7-11 sound like the backups and 12-15 are the overdubs for emphasis. Let me start with track 6 here because that sounds good against the backing instruments. OK, Good. Now, where and how would the backup vocals sound with this? Let me try this. OK, now that might sound good with some reverb. Ah ha, now maybe..." etc.

That's EXACTLY what's normally done. :)

G.
EXACTLY right! :)

that is what I would do.....but im just sayin in the situation im in right now....do ij ust copy and paste some of the tracks and just eq them more on smoe....becase he only did.....main vocal lead....background vocal....and then 1 set of overdubs on emphasis of words.....

Back