Panning a three piece rock band?

I had a silly idea...
Check out the freq range of the guitar which you've pan to one side. Put a pass filter on the bass that allows the guitar equiv freqs through & pan it opp the guitar. Put a copy of the bass with a low pass filter set at the same point os the bottom end of the other bass track in the middle with the bass drum.
OR if you've a cross over use taht & send the two diff chucks as described.
Would that work? To my mind it would possibly give a more balanced stereo image. To my ears? I don't know, haven't done it. Generally I just add a 2nd gtr & pan it opp the 1st.
the filtering and planning the mids and highs of the bass opposite the guitar is what I normally do.

The lazy way would be to just put a chorus or double on the guitar and call it a day.

:) Apparently I've upset some people with my response. Armistice, you basically just pan the guitar track entirely almost entirely to one side. Then, duplicate the track, move the track about 30-50 ms later in the track, then pan that track almost entirely to the right. It seems like I've struck a chord with some people though, so maybe don't listen to me. I've enjoyed that technique in the past though.

:) Apparently I've upset some people with my response. Armistice, you basically just pan the guitar track entirely almost entirely to one side. Then, duplicate the track, move the track about 30-50 ms later in the track, then pan that track almost entirely to the right. It seems like I've struck a chord with some people though, so maybe don't listen to me. I've enjoyed that technique in the past though.

Armistice is pulling your chain (I hope).
You're a victim of the times shelm; Don't worry about it! lol.

"Must spread" to everyone after post 15.

And then when you hear how bad it sounds, undo all of that, and try something else. :)

Band = Drums, Bass, and Guitar.

Should I pan the bass to one side and the guitar to the other? That still seems a little lop-sided.

Any better ideas to fill it in? (I know back in the 70's, some guys used to pan the drums to one side.)
Everything up the middle for some hot mono ?

Post a sample ;)

I don't have the luxury of double tracking anything.

Sure you do!

....and nobody will ever have to know but you :eek: whistling.gif :p

:) Apparently I've upset some people with my response
Don't sweat it - the people you think you upset are aware of that trick, have tried it - and come to the conclusion that it sucks....every time. Responses get shorter and snappier the more it gets (re)suggested...hence simple facepalm and "prove it" type reactions - that's all.

I find bass or drums too much to one side gets irritating. It's kind of cool for about the first 15 seconds of an early 60's tune, but it never sounds "right".
I feel the other way, it never feels odd to me because that's how I've always heard it in those songs. But I really hate the bass panned far away from the centre in my own stuff. It sounds awful and annoying so I never do it. Even back in the 80s, long before I ever multitracked or thought about these things, when I used to jam with friends, I'd tape it on a boom box and everything was central. When my mate's boombox gave up the ghost, we recorded a few jams on my tape deck that had left and right mic inputs so one mic recorded the drums and I just went DI with the bass into the other input. And when I listened back to it, right from the kick off with the bass in one channel and the drums in the other, it felt lopsided and odd. I remember thinking that back in 1984.

Live at Leeds shows you can do pretty hard panning and it'll kick ass. Of course, it does help that John Entwistle's tone is very full-spectrum.....

Live at Leeds shows you can do pretty hard panning and it'll kick ass. Of course, it does help that John Entwistle's tone is very full-spectrum.....

I always liked it because you can hear every note that John played, the studio albums always seemed to have average bass volume and mud in the mix as a result of what I always considered poor production (Tommy Never sounded right to me with lacklustre music drive with the vocals too up front, still loved the songs) Maybe the remasters are better?
John in an interview once said that the Live at Leeds was his favourite Who album.

Alan.

While Tommy is my favorite studio Who album musically, you are right in that the production is pretty muddy, even by the standards of the day. Who's Next is really their first studio album that actually sounded good and clean. It was also their first album to really capture their live energy in the studio. Their first several studio albums were so vastly different from their live work. Its almost like two different bands. Even on Tommy, with the exception of *maybe* Pinball Wizard, their energy is pretty tame.

Very true.
I think "Tommy" is a magnificent album with some of the best songs of the 60s on it. But the production leaves alot to be desired. John Entwistle said the drums sounded like biscuit tins ! Someone once lamented that instead of letting their manager Kit Lambert produce it, they should've gotten George Martin in. For all the bouncing he and the engineers did on Beatles records, the records were always clear.
Yet, "Tommy", is what it is and I love it the way it is. I think the balance between the electric and acoustic guitars is fantastic. I still bear it in mind when I record today.
Even throughout the 70s the Who were two different bands. On their albums, they performed songs. Live, they were a different entity altogether. In fact, even now when Townshend and Daltrey perform, they're loud and wild.
One other thing I love about "Tommy" are the harmonies and backing vocals. Certain bands like the Stones, the Who and the Pretty Things that weren't blessed with two or three good singers like the Beach boy, Byrds or Beatles had to really work hard at backing vocals and consequently came out with brilliant ones. "Tommy" is packed with simple, great and memorable backing and harmony vocals.

Back