Pannimg a mono channel

lespaulplayer

I am using Cubase Elements 6 with a focusrite scarlett 2i2. When recording two tracks simultaneously I have to record in mono. When I try to pan either track to the right it fades away and nothing at 100% right. Is that normal? Right now I am just recording myself so I use a splitter from my pedal output and run into both inputs on the scarlett to record in stereo. I am looking into getting the Tascam 1800 interface for recording my band. Will I have to record the bass and guitar in stereo so that I can pan them in the mix? I will be recording the bass and guitar direct in so I don't have bleed through on the drum mics.

You may want to look at how you are selecting your track. Many DAWs allow you to select your inputs, using a two channel as an example (1 or 2) or (1 & 2). If it is 1 or 2, then it should come in as a mono track. If 1 & 2, it would come in as a stereo track.

If you take your mono track and pan left, then your right fades out (I am sure you know this, but just in case). If it is in stereo, then the left channel becomes dominate and the right is being faded out or totally removed.

If you are seeing two wave forms in One channel, you are recording stereo, not mono. Hope I was helpful.

It sounds like you are recording the left side of a mono track.

In cubase, you have to set up mono inputs (not the default stereo input), and create a mono track before you record to it.

Hah! The only AI I can recall that had pan on it was the ill fated Behringer BCA200 so you could place a mono source anywhere you liked in a stereo "picture".

OP, you say you have "split" the signal to both the Scarlet inputs? Had you gone the other "inch" and fitted pots you could have used those to pan the signal!

One other solution, like the Youtube guy elsewhere, is a small mixer.

Dave.

Thanks for the responses. DM60 I did set up to record mono in the vst connections. I have only one wave form in the recording so it is recording mono. When I open the mixer and try to pan the channel to the right, There is no movement in the channel and it gets softer til it fades to nothing. If I pan to the left there is basically no change in the sound level and no movement of sound either. I am using headphones to monitor the recording. I do have an alesis mix8 mixer but I want to record several tracks at the same time.

I am using headphones to monitor the recording.

What are the headphones connected to? If it is a mono 1/4" line output then your symptoms make sense. If the output is balanced you will have a diffuse, unfocused sound in both ears. If the output is unbalanced you will only have sound from the left side. Either way it will fade to silence as you pan right.

Thanks for the response I was using monitoring from the phone jack on the interface. Played back through the audio card on computer using headphones it pans now. Makes sense now wasn't thinking about that at all.

DM60 I did set up to record mono in the vst connections.

VST Connections is not where you select Mono or Stereo. You would do that when you create a track on the timeline.

AddAudioMonoStereo.jpg

Edit: Just saw your last post... glad you got it worked out.

thanks for the replies , chili that is the way I set it up I meant that I had created two mono inputs in the vst connections so I could record two tracks at the same time.

Thanks for the response I was using monitoring from the phone jack on the interface. Played back through the audio card on computer using headphones it pans now. Makes sense now wasn't thinking about that at all.

What do you mean by "phone jack", the headphone output or the line output? The headphone output on the 2i2 is the one you should be using, not the computer's onboard sound card.

What do you mean by "phone jack", the headphone output or the line output? The headphone output on the 2i2 is the one you should be using, not the computer's onboard sound card.

I was using the headphone output on the 2i2. It was not panning through there. When I switched to asio full duplex and had the output set to computer speakers it would then pan from left to right. Thanks for the reply.

I was using the headphone output on the 2i2. It was not panning through there. When I switched to asio full duplex and had the output set to computer speakers it would then pan from left to right. Thanks for the reply.

If the panning is working on the sound card but not the interface something is wrong, either with the interface or with how you're doing things. You need to be able to use the interface to get low latency input monitoring.

There is no panning on the 2i2. ASIO Full Duplex is for your computer soundcard, you should be using the Focusrite driver in Cubase.

Back