PALMER or other speaker sim for LIVE playing

11miles

I have been thinking about using only a pre-amp to palmer speaker simulator, and diretly to PA desk when playing live!

what do you think, anybody, have similar expirinece, good or bad?

10x a mill...

If you want to run direct you would be better off using an amp simulator such as the Boss GT-8, Line6 Pod XTL, or Digitech GNX 3000. Only using a preamp and speaker simulator will not sound right. You need to simulate the interaction between : Preamp>Power Amp>Speaker.

ok!

But where si the big difference

guitar-pre-amp-SS-mixing desk

or

Guitar-pre-amp-Poweramp-SS-Mixing desk?

11miles said:
ok!

But where si the big difference

guitar-pre-amp-SS-mixing desk

or

Guitar-pre-amp-Poweramp-SS-Mixing desk?

you said it yourself! the poweramp does what it says, gives power to the sound. well not exactly, but that is the big difference.

Here's the deal with the Palmer Speaker Sim. It's designed to be used with an existing guitar amplifier, such as a Fender Twin, Mesa Recto, Marshall Lead, etc., and it takes the speaker cabinet and mic out of the picture.
It has a load attenuator to prevent the power amp of said guitar amplifier from blowing out whatever it's plugged into, and without a power amp you'd most likely have an extremely weak signal with a pretty poor sound.

BUT, Palmer makes a few variations on the standard speaker sim. They've got the standard PDI-3 (or the new PGA-04), which everyone is familiar with, and it's the one I've described above. They also have the PGA-05, which is lacking the attenuator, and is aimed at preamps. The PGA-04 is passive, meaning it's powered by the load from the power amp, and the PGA-05 is active, meaning it needs a wall-wart.

I hope this has helped you out, the Palmers are pretty cool devices.

the descripiton sounds cool!

Thaks a lot, everything clear!

I just had a practice with the band,with the In-ear monitoring.

I will ahve to get the ag of it, but the good things, that it brings to the overall sound....ITS ALMOST CRAZY!!!!!

So what i did id instead of plugging my marshall 6100 Balanced out to the mix des, i used my other thign which is rocktron Voodu Valve.
WIth speaker simulator, and i tried to bypass it.
The whole difference in the world!

Basicly some EQ difference, but very noticeable!

I still dont know what exactly to do, but if i will stick to not amping my guitar amp on stage, i shoudl really look at this as a whole new ball game!

BEcause i dont knwo what pre-amp, amp shoudl i use right now. I have tried zillion, but all throguh different poweramps, and cabinet.

I really liek the thought of not having a cabinet behind you on live sets.

I am a singer, and if i want to hear myself good when playing, my guitar shoudl really, be loud. Or cabinet shoudl be placed really good, which is not always possible!

I want the sound in my ears! And now i have foudn the way!

The only thign that i am still very concerned... HOw will the sound of my guitar, (not beign) miked, sound liek?

What will i lose? What will i gain?
Soundwise?

I mean, one thing is setting up thetone you like, when turning the knob on your amp, standing infront of it. Move away 3 meters and you would move that mid knob a bit to the 12 o'clock position...right?

THe thing is that we eve hear different than the mics hear!

Back