Pair of Rode NT1-A's. Should I buy over a single (new) NT-1

Bubba po

Tiny Stonehenge Moment
Ok, so the story is this; I have two serviceable Chord condenser (hand-held) vocal mics that I'm using for vocals and drum overheads. I'm getting very good results with them. However, to make better vocal recordings, I have been saving to buy the new Rode NT-1 as it comes highly recommended. Well, I was browsing a facebook page of studio gear for sale and someone's selling a pair of mint NT-1A's for £140 (about $220), one shockmount and one standard clip included.

I was thinking of getting them as I'm sure they would make great vocal recordings, but with a view to using them as drum overheads, too. The problem is, I've heard that the NT-1A is a bit brittle sounding, and wouldn't want something that would accentuate the cymbals in the kit.

My options are:

1. Buy the NT -1A's at this bargain price, then carry on saving for the NT1, or something else;
2. Forget the NT-1, if the NT1-A's will do everything I want.
3. Forget the NT-1 A's and carry on as I originally planned, buy the NT-1 for vocals, then carry on saving for another NT-1.

Opinions, please! :D

Last edited:
The NT-1A will work fine as overheads, if they sound a bit brittle for your liking shelve the highs a little.

Alan.

Thanks, Witzendotz - I pulled the trigger this morning on those bad boys. I couldn't resist. :D

Last edited:
Back