painting the walls resulted in annoying high frequency reflections !! remedies ?

papusnance

Hi my buays

So im building my own studio. its a small room with fiberglass traped betwwen the old walls and gypsum plates. it had some eco and stuff but i effectively eliminated it with a little padding and a carpet on the floor. but my mother comes and says she wants to paint it , i told her it might fuck up acoustics of the room . but anyway. the room was painted (with water paint)

so now i have to record some distorted guitars on this room, i tested it today and it sounds awfull man... there is a really really annoying high pitch resonance ...i suppose its around 2k or 4-5k because of its annoying-ness

is there any kind of paint or material i can apply to the walls so it absorbs these frequencies , like the raw gypsum used to do ?
I think padding the whole thing is NOT an option for me ...
perhaps sanding them a little bit ?

thanks !
papus

This is about the strangest thing I have heard, here. So strange, I just gotta think there is something else going on- that the paint could not have caused that.

Yeah, I would almost think that it would dampen the higher frequencies. (but that would be so minor it wouldn't even matter)

You sure you're not just hearing things?

Unless you are using a high gloss epoxy paint I can't see it making an audible difference. The paint shouldn't be hard enough to reflect any more than the walls were reflecting before. A standard, water based interior paint is what you will find in most every home studio. It is also what you will find inside of pro studios.

In truth, the mind is a powerful thing. If you believe something enough you will begin to percieve it; whether or not it is true.

hmmm thank you! i guess you must be right

i had never tried the room by myself with my guitar and nothing more
i have rehearsed with my band in the room and i have never noticed that annoying pitch. But i guess that could be that my ears get used to the high volume in rehearsals

i guess its just that i never noticed it then

its a 3m x 3m room. could carpeting the floor make a significant diference?... or are the walls the main problem ?
what cheap or simple solutions do you suggest?

im in a pretty low budget , and i read that dampening the high frequencies is pretty easy

Laying down a carpet probably caused more damage to your sound than any paint could ever do., but that's a whole different discussion concerning room treatment, etc.....

Carpet could hurt, but you can usually get used carpet from a crew for free, just for hauling it off. It may not be the cleanest, but you can beat the hell out of it before you lay it down, then rough-cut it and drop it in place. Have your band come in, play a few numbers, and see how you like it. If you do, toss the old stuff and get something you can live with.

Sometimes, a dead room is good for band practice, even if it's bad for recording.

why would a carpet be bad ? will it deaden the sound to much ?

well ... i just intend to absorb the excess of these frecuencies

i had an idea , maybe if I tear off the outer layer of big cardboard pieces and put them on the walls
so it looks like this:
http://static3.depositphotos.com/1001003/142/i/450/dep_1427151-Torn-Cardboard.jpg

I think it would help because of its irregular texture (reflecting sound in all directions), and the material. What do you think ?

well ... i just intend to absorb the excess of these frecuencies

i had an idea , maybe if I tear off the outer layer of big cardboard pieces and put them on the walls
so it looks like this:
http://static3.depositphotos.com/1001003/142/i/450/dep_1427151-Torn-Cardboard.jpg

I think it would help because of its irregular texture (reflecting sound in all directions), and the material. What do you think ?

I had carpet samples (looked cool) on the walls of my studio for years. I am currently rennovating it and it has open stud walls now. The sound is so much better than it was before.The carpet deadens the room and recordings too much. Also we use to be so much louder before. Again the carpet deadened everything so much we used to have to turn everything up to compensate. I am going with tongue and groove pine on the walls soon.

VP

Carpet is a horrible idea. It only kills your high end and mids, and does nothing for your low's. You're guaranteed to have a worse sounding room with carpet, especially on the walls. Let's not even talk about how horrible an idea cardboard is.

Last edited:

From how you describe your room, what you're hearing, and your budget... I think a carpet/tapestry hanging is an OK solution.

Don't overdo it however, and allow for experimentation by hanging it from a rod. That way you easily move it to try different areas and listen to what satisfies you the most.

Your mom will likely be OK with this too, more than your cardboard idea. I'll give you points for innovative thinking however.

Back