Paintin em

.Tyson Studios.

I LOST THE GAME
got a beginner kit a month ago and am going to paint it. Its gonna be glossy white with a light blueish pinstripe at the bottom of eache drum. I got some blue hydralic evans heads for em. Any advice on painting them? I strpped them doiwn to only the shell. I figured primer, then the white, then clear coat. TIPS???

I painted my kit...

Read my head, and read around the forum there. :cool:

DrumArt.jpg

Edit: Seems GN is down at the moment... check back

Thanks! I am a professional automotive painter though...
There is indeed sparkle. Silver mini flake and some jumbo crystal clear flake.
The camera has a hard time catching it all, but it pops in the lights. :cool:

I don't really want to register, but I couldn't see any thread without registering. Unless there's top-secret drum stuff happening there, there's no reason that guests can't browse.

I still cant believe that its a home job....far out
When someone says they painted a drum kit, not very nice images pop to mind haha
How did you manage to get a fade?

I'm currently spray-painting a mini drum kit a lovely grey-sparkle colour. It used to have red plastic wrap, but I sanded it then sprayed 2 coats of grey primer on the shell. I'm on about coat 6 of the sparkle coating. Shells looking nice, but kind of fumy!

I documented the building of my kit on another forum... that no longer exists! :mad:

Anyway, it's a Keller maple shell kit that I painted and built-out using lugs from a custom lug maker... Adonis
The process is depicted primarily on the snare.

Where it happened
Shed1.jpg

Shed2.jpg

Raw shell drilled and edged
snareraw.jpg

Boiled linseed oil on interiors... couple coats
snareoiled.jpg

Primed with epoxy primer and leveled to 600 grit. Progressively, from 320, 400 and 600
SnarePrimed.jpg

Sherwin Williams Automotive basecoat/clearcoat system
Finishes.jpg

Lapis Blue goin' on
Snare-Booth.jpg

Lapis Blue on
cantstoplooking.jpg

Blew on some Royal Blue... faded to the center
Fade1.jpg

Dusted on some silver mini-flake
Silvermini-flake.jpg

Silver1.jpg

Threw down some clear and dusted on some crystal clear flake with my DIY dry flake blower
Ghettoflake-buster.jpg

Dude.jpg

Moreclear5.jpg

Back