Paint the sheetrock?

Hart

All the sudden I'm in a panic over my vocal booth.

Construction is basically complete (finished hanging the sheetrock over the weekend YAY!) and I'm finishing the skim over the joint tape etc. today.

I was planning on applying Auralex directly to the unpainted rock but had two horrible thoughts that woke me up last night. 1. Will the adhesive spray stick to unpainted sheetrock? 2. Is there going to be a problem with dust if I don't paint. Heck, is there any other issue I might have missed?

I tried doing a little searching but didn't come up with anything. Anybody got any experience here that can help out? I'd prefer not to paint if I don't have to since the walls will be covered with Auralex anyway... but I do have a some Kilz laying around if I need to paint them.

I would prime the walls, but I don't see a need to paint them. You might be better off not using the spray glue. You will tear the auralex when you try to get it back off and the glue doesn't hold very well when the humidity swings wildly.

Jay,

Thanks for the quick reply.

If not the spray stuff what would you use? In the past we've used liquid nails, which was a bad idea, in one build. And the spray stuff in the other. The spray stuff worked out better to me because it wasn't "permanent" and didn't damage the panels too much. But we did have to re-do a few that popped loose every now and then. I'm open to suggestions since I have the Auralex (much love to Craigslist) but haven't bought adhesive yet.

I use T-pins.

66901-0000-2ww-m.jpg

You will want to use sheetrock primer, it's a special primer just for sheetrock. It's cheap.

I would not leave the sheetrock exposed as the paper will erode over time, even if it is covered by auralex.

The T-pins are the way to go. They won't damage the pannels at all and make them completely removable.

Thanks everyone for the replys.

Yeah, I used T-pins back when I lived in an apartment. Worked pretty well and easy to repair the holes when I moved. I guess I just hadn't thought about it for this project since it is a more permanent installation. Thinking about it though, it's a great way to go.

Sheetrock primer it is. One more step, and little bit more time won't hurt me any.

Finished up the taping, now eating lunch and relaxing while that coat of joint compound dries.

Thanks again for the help.

Just wanted to pop back in and say thanks again. Got the walls primed today, they look pretty darn good. Went digging through my audio "junk box" and found my stash of T-pins and I'm good to go.... well after I install the door and finish the ventilation anyway.

WORD!! :D

fraserhutch said:
You will want to use sheetrock primer, it's a special primer just for sheetrock. It's cheap.

I would not leave the sheetrock exposed as the paper will erode over time, even if it is covered by auralex.

Sure Bill,

I'd be happy too. I've been taking pictures along the most of the build. I'll put em up once it's complete.

Back