Paint and sound?

devilsgirth

I'm gonna be walling off a section of my basement and I was hoping to not have to paint the new drywall because I don't care how it looks, I just care about sound. How does a painted wall affect sound? Positively, negatively, or is it neutral?

Paint on an existing hard/reflective surface will have little sonic impact.

Of course....the right colors will alter the mood, and that can affect the overall sound you get. :)
Don't know how exciting plain drywall will be. :D

LOL!

Well, paint on an otherwise porous surface will help with sound-proofing (sound blocking), I usually specify 3 coats of exterior-grade paint on CMU block before construction of an inner framed shell ... but that's for a porous material.

If you are putting up the drywall for sound proofing, then you should not forget to caulk the perimeter joints; wall to wall, ceiling to wall, and floor to wall joints. No need to paint.

Cheers,
John

LOL!

Well, paint on an otherwise porous surface will help with sound-proofing (sound blocking), I usually specify 3 coats of exterior-grade paint on CMU block before construction of an inner framed shell ... but that's for a porous material.

If you are putting up the drywall for sound proofing, then you should not forget to caulk the perimeter joints; wall to wall, ceiling to wall, and floor to wall joints. No need to paint.

Cheers,
John

Sorry to somewhat hijack but, John, does just mud/tape do anything helpful at all for sound isolation? I'd also like to know, because I am attempting to isolate the basement studio I am currently building from the upstairs. Roxul safe and sound in the ceiling, resiliant channel, double drywall, acoustic caulking around any openings in the floor (above the insulation), outside studs spaced 1" off wall to reduce even more structural vibration. I never though about caulking the joints of the drywall (which would be also with acoustic caulking right?)...

Good questions!

Mud and tape will seal the panel joints, but perimeter joints need to be caulked because the MOVE and will crack the plaster (mud). The crack is allow air flow and therefore sound flow. ;)
Use a backer rod prior to applying the caulk. The backer rod prevents the caulk from adhering to more than 2 rigid surfaces. If the caulk is bound by 3 surfaces, it will shear and open a crack!
Good isolation depends on being air-tight.

Safe 'n Sound is a good choice. Yes, be sure to caulk any holes or cracks in the sub-floor. Ideally we cover the sub-floor with a layer or two of 5/8" drywall using blocks to hold it in place (don't screw into the sub-floor) and caulk all seams + perimeter joints.

Cheers,
John

Back