painfully dumb question

jbal122819

I've been recording at home for years, first with a Tascam Portastudio, now with a Tascam 788 Digital Portastudio and have some mixers, drum machine, monitors, rack gear etc. and am at the point where I can make pretty good recordings by myself.
Big problem is, once I get outside of the 788 I'm TOTALLY clueless about computer recording. I want to get a home computer and try recording but I don't want to take giant steps backward.
Can anyone recommend a good starting point to learn about computer recording (as opposed to using my stand alone Tascam, which I'm pretty good with), something without too much Jargon - yea I read about Firewire, Motu, Pro Tools, Audacity, Sound cards, Latency, iPods, MP3, etc but really can't visualize what they do- heck, it took me a year to get comfortable with the 788 !!!
Be kind and point this Old Geezer it the right direction and I'll leave you alone !
thanks ;)

Try Ntracks (cheap but functional) with whatever system you have now for a month or two, and find things you like and don't like, then check out some of the more comercial titles. Once you understand the basic functionality of these recording softwares it is really about what gets in your way the least.

Daav

Back