Pain in my PC A$$

Stealthtech

LOGIC ABUSER
PC's are such a pain. Im tired of all the problems. I have been running a setup for years with 2 HD's and 2CD Drives on the IDE chls. But with all the new stuff out there Im thinking of another upgrade and new config.
I bought a new ASUS P4P800 last week which supports the new 800 MHz FSB CPU's.....what is the advantage of 800 MHz. FSB ?
Also supports SATA. Again what advantages ?
I was thinking about simplifying and scaling down to one SATA drive. I noticed WD has a 10,000 RPM Sata drive, but only 36 gig ???? Would this make a great recording drive I wonder ?
All the others are 7200 rpm....I may just go with one of those. I've been using WD's for years but is Maxtor or Seagate better now ?
Any thoughts or opinions will be great

what is the advantage of 800 MHz. FSB ?
Faster access to memory. It's a good thing.
Also supports SATA. Again what advantages ?
Higher throughput, low noise, lower CPU utilization.
Would this make a great recording drive I wonder ?
Yep. High RPM, low access time, high throughput, low CPU usage = winner.
I've been using WD's for years but is Maxtor or Seagate better now ?
They all make quality drives. Just get one that has a 3 year warranty as opposed to a 1 year warranty.

Stealthtech said:
I was thinking about simplifying and scaling down to one SATA drive. I noticed WD has a 10,000 RPM Sata drive, but only 36 gig ???? Would this make a great recording drive I wonder ?
Not really. It has a very low access time which is great for OS drives and databases but it has much less effect for audio drives. The transferrates of those drives are usually not higher than 7200rpm drives either because they use platters with a smaller diameter.
Just stick with 7200rpm for now to store your tracks on.

Thanks for that input fella's....by the way, the Raptor has a 5 year warranty. But its $165 on average for a 36 gig drive. Why so small a drive ? Is it the rpm rotation that limits the disk size ?

Stealthtech said:
Thanks for that input fella's....by the way, the Raptor has a 5 year warranty. But its $165 on average for a 36 gig drive. Why so small a drive ? Is it the rpm rotation that limits the disk size ?

new, cutting edge technology...

....and remeber the old computing adage....

"He who be beta-tester for the first year of new technology often pay out the butt to crash more and get less done when you could just wait a bit longer for the FINAL product....."

:-))

(NOT implying that SATA isn't ready, just that if you chase the cutting-edge, you are more likely to bleed...)

TimOBrien said:
....and remeber the old computing adage....

"He who be beta-tester for the first year of new technology often pay out the butt to crash more and get less done when you could just wait a bit longer for the FINAL product....."

:-))

(NOT implying that SATA isn't ready, just that if you chase the cutting-edge, you are more likely to bleed...)

sad :(... but very true, you play you pay deal...

all beta/new hard/software should come with a 3yr warranty, imho...

just wishful thinking though...

In my computer business, Seagate IDE drives have the worst track record for reliability. Maxtor is much better, and WD fails the least. After repeated failings, I refuse to use Seagate drives. YMMV.

There is a large difference between the 7200 rpm drives and the slower (obsolete) 5400 rpm models. A bigger improvement comes with the 8mb drive cache (and 3 year warranty), compared to the 2mb cache (1 year warranty).

Windows does a substantial amount of drive caching when sufficient RAM is available. On Win98, everything above 64mb is dedicated to disk caching anyway. W2k and XP dynamically utilize all available memory for apps and/or caching. More is always better with W2k and XP. 256mb is the minimum, IMO, as only 100mb is free when XP is booted and idle on a 256mb system.

ASUS makes quality boards. Build the machine from scratch, avoid the internet as much as possible. Uncheck "install on demand" from your Internet Explorer. When fully configured, use Symantec Ghost to image your C: partition and save the file on the other hard disk for future restoration, should your machine become corrupted.

Well I picked up the WD Raptor this morning and installed this afternoon....works great. Good and speedy ! And those SATA cables...too cool ! I have'nt loaded up Logic yet so I dont know if it out performs my WDJB drive. Will find out soon enough.;)

Back