PA system question?

fededrum

Hi guys I have a Fender SR-8520 PD powered mixer and I need the Speakers. I went to sam ash today to buy a Behringer Eurolive B212XL 12" but the toll me that I have to know the power o ft he mixer and how many watts has or it can blow the speakers and blablabla... That the speakers and the mixer has to have the same watts, Please help me because I have not idea. I don't know how many watts the mixer has. What happen if the mixer has less power(watts) that the speakers or the speakers has less power that the mixer?
All I need is a small Pa system for a party and I all ready have the mixer so I'm looking for a cheep pair of speakers but I want to be sure that it will work
THANKSSSS!

Why don't you google the mixer and find out how many watts it has, I am not going to do this for you.

The mixer can have less watts as long as you don't turn it up so the amp distorts it won't harm the speakers. The amp can also have more watts than the speakers and again it won't harm the speakers unless you turn it up until the speakers distort.

Check that the ohms rating of the fender matches the ohm rating of the speakers to get the best performance.

Alan.

According to the Fender manual, your powered mixer provides a single output rated at 350 watts continuous into 4 ohms.

The Behringer speakers are 8 ohm boxes rated at 200 watts continuous. Wiring two speakers in parallel will result in a 4 ohm load.

Conventional wisdom is that it is safest to have an amp rated at 1.5-2 times the rated speaker power to avoid the risk of clipping (which can be more damaging than "clean" power). So, based on this, your mixer should drive the Behringer speakers fine.

your mixer puts out 350 watts into 4 ohms. The speakers can handle 200 watts with 8 ohms. Which means, if you run your speakers in parallel you'll get 400 watts at 4 ohms. Run one speaker cable from your mixer Main Out to one speaker, then from that speaker to the second speaker. pretty simple.

[Edit: Bobsy beat me to it. :)]

Yeah. I'm stuck at home with a sick wife and a kid out with his friends...and no mixing to do 'cause the guy who's supposed to be sending me a bunch of tracks he recorded hasn't posted them yet!

...so I'm bored and willing to Google for the diversion! It was that or Judge Judy on the TV. I prefer Google!

Back