PA system and recording.

Brahmb

I have a twofold question:

I'm looking to buy a PA system for around $2,000. It needs to have enough power to fill an auditorium that seats 300 people and sounds like a barn. Should I go with passive or active monitors? Should I include a mixing board and power amp?

I will also be doing live recording using my Fostex VF160 for now, with a strong possibility of being able to upgrade in a few years. I need this system to work well with the VF160. Any suggestions?

I've been looking at the Mackie 808S and CR300 speakers PA system. Anything better for the money ($1600)? Will this work well with my ideas for live recording? Are these separate issues (as I think they are, yet interconnected)?

I think you are going to have to get used gear to meet your budget.

Half-way decent full range 2-way speakers (15" + horn) like JBL SR's or EV SX500's will cost at least $1000 for the pair (new). A half-way decent 16 channel board like a Mackie, Alan & Heath, etc. will also cost about $1000 (new). And an ok power amp that puts out around 400W per side into 8 ohms wil also cost around $1000 (like the QSC PLX).

Now, we've already spent $3000 and we don't have monitor wedges (or a power amp for the monitors), mics, mic stands, speaker stands, cables, DI boxes, effects, compression, outboard eq, wireless mics, etc.

Your best bet is to buy an existing PA system from a band that just broke up and is desperate to sell. You may be able score a $5000+ PA with your $2000 budget.

Great advice from LD.

There are some good deals on the JBL Eons right now. The older models are being blown out for around $400 for the powered 15" speakers. You could use 2 15"s for the mains and get some 10" for monitors. You would be pretty close to your budget and still need a mixer though.

I'm not sure what you mean by work well for recording because the PA speakers don't have much to do with that. You may be able to use the VF as the mixer but you may be pretty limited for monitor sends. Without knowing how many channels you need and monitor requirements it's hard to say.

more specific

I already have the mics I need, but do plan on ordering a few more body mics... that's another budget. I also have two of the old Peavey speakers from the old system which will work well for monitors. I only need up to 8 ins on a mixer. I am looking for advice on the power mixer vs. powered speakers, and what models have worked well for the price range. Is the Mackie 808S and CR300 a decent system?

As for recording, I'll be recording concerts live, and am not quite sure how to record singers that are being miced through the PA system as opposed to the entire chorus, which will also have PA for reinforcement (ie. the soloists will be hotter than the chorus). How do I record all this using the VF160.

You are right about the VF, it only has 2 outs.

Here's what I did

I've had a Mackie CFX12 mixer for a couple of years and found it to be a great overall stage mixer, but not really up to "studio" recording. If you're recording live, however, you have a different environment than in a quiet studio. I had the same question and found a basic answer with just about the same budget.

I picked up a pair of Mackie SRM450 active speaker cabs - which pump out 400 watts each and deliver really clean sound. $1400. A pair of cheap speaker stands from MF is about $60. My Mackie mixer is about $600 new, but used on ebay I found an auction ending in about a day from now; price is presently at $394. Figure $450 for a used CFX. You have 8 XLR inputs with pretty decent preamps, probably a little better than those on the VF160. You also have four sub outputs on the CFX that could go right into the Fostex.

Now you're up to $1910 with brand new speaker cabs.

A Peavey 112PM powered monitor is about $285 new; about $200 or so on ebay if you look hard. You might want to look for used amps to power the passive monitors you have.

At any rate, it's possible to get up and running with something decent for a couple grand.

possible solution

here is what i use and it works well for what i need. i've got a mackie 1402vlz around 530.00 usd new. 350.00 used. mackie srm450's active monitors 650.00 a piece new. (good luck finding any used !) . i also use mine as recording monitors they sound GREAT!!!!!!!! as far as recording goes, the mixer has channel inserts for direct mic recording in a live situation. if you got a used 1604 vlz used you would have 8 mic pre's & 8 channel inserts and come in at around
$2000.00(assuming you have all the mic's you would need).
good luck, Tim

1604 vlz - 16 mic inputs/preamps and inserts, not 8.
also has direct outs on the first 8 channels if you want to record post-eq, though the inserts are somewhat cleaner.

Back