PA Speakers

Brahmb

PA Speakers EV SX500 or Yamaha S112

I have the option of buying either a pair of EV SX500's new (even though they've been in a warehouse for a while) for $199 each, or a pair of Yamaha's S112's for $279 each. Any advice?

Last edited:
I really should be more specific the first time...

I'm going this weekend to listen to both pairs. I'm just wondering if anybody had experience with either line and their durability.

I have just got mine EV Sx300.
And i am well happy.

Lovely clear sound and puncy , its can really take some pounding.

Though they are quite pricey they are very light plus very durable and the lightness no way takes away from the sound quality.

Dave

The EV's are nice and light, easier to put on a pole... but they are a bit larger and harder to maneuver as a result, whereas those 12" Yamahas will take up less room in the vehicle.

In doing Indian Music shows here in the Twin Cities (mostly acoustic instruments in small halls - but we have played modern techno-influenced Indian music thru them too) the EV's always struck me as being a bit more diffuse than the other cabs I am familiar with. they're certainly less punchy than the Yamaha's my band owns.

I'd probably pick the Yamahas over the EV's based on the past few years of experience using both kinds of cabs... IMO plastic cabinets don't reproduce bass frequencies as well as wood ones do.

Hi Isfahani

Yes I see what you mean.
I also have a Yamaha 12' but its the older Yamaha S1IVN , which is 300 watt power handling.

It does have more bass and the wood does add to he warmth.
But what I like about the EV is its a nice clear sound right accross the range.

I mainly do guitar and vocals, i also use a Phonic 740 powered amp.
The other good thing about the EV is that its 300 watt rms, the more I am using the EV Sx300 the more I am getting to really like the sound.
Maybe if I had a proper Yamaha s112V which I believe is 400 watts.

Yamaha can be decieving in theier specs though the S1IVN says 300 watts its really only 150 watts rms.

Dave

Back