PA speaker problems

Pony!

Last night, I was set up in a bar running sound for a friend when I noticed that one of my speakers was buzzin on the lower notes. After having ruled out bad channel, bad amp, etc... Came to the conclusion it was the woofer.

Testing it today I noticed that when I put a little pressure with my finger on the side of the woofer the buzzing went away. I'm assuming this means its vibrating against the chassis there.

So, my question is: Is this a speaker that is ripe for a full reconing or can I just have it re-edged?

It sounds to me like the speaker has Poled, this means that the voice coil is rubbing against the inside of the magnet. Poling is due to 3 things.

1) The speaker has been over driven and overheated the coil causing it to expand.
2) Dirt and dust has got in between the magnet and voice coil.
3) The speaker has taken a knock / hard bump by the box being dropped or falling over and the magnet has been knocked out of line.

If you gently push the speaker cone in and out with your fingers, can you hear any rubbing sounds? That is a good test to see if it has poled.

Due to the fact that the speaker is still working what ever has happened it may not be too serious, most likely dust or a knock. A good speaker repair place could repair this quickly by taking the cone out, cleaning the coil and resetting the cone/magnet alignment.

Cheers
Alan.

Are you sure that the whole speaker isn't just loose? Try and see if you can tighten up the set screws. As a possible fix.

:cool:

Thanks for your responses!

I don't think the speaker was loose in the cabinet. I was still getting the distortion with the woofer out of the cabinet.

There isn't a speaker repair shop anywhere near me. The closest reputable repair place is over 45 minutes away. And they don't do repairs in-house there. They send things out of state for repairs.

is fixing a poled speaker something I can learn to do on my own?

I googled it didn't come up with much.

A good speaker repair place could repair this quickly by taking the cone out, cleaning the coil and resetting the cone/magnet alignment.

Cheers
Alan.
If you take the cone out it's a re-cone. Cones don't come out without cutting them out. Well, the Peavey stuff comes apart but most speakers don't.
Sometimes you can cut out the dustcap and clean around the coil but generally that's not usually enough.
But if they actually remove the cone, then it becomes a re-cone at that point.

Thanks for your responses!
is fixing a poled speaker something I can learn to do on my own?

I googled it didn't come up with much.
You can learn to do it (it's simple enough) but the biggest problem is getting the parts because you'll almost sure have to recone it.
What kind of speaker is it?

Interesting, moresound. Thanks for sending me there.

I'm watching it on ebay.

Can anyone recommend a suitable upgrade for a replacement set of woofers should it come to that? I'd want to go with a pair and just get both of them together and out of the way. Would it be a good idea to go with higher tolerance woofers?

I've also read that upgrading the crossovers can be a boon to intelligibility. Can anyone point me towards a good upgrade for that?

Why not consider powered bass bins? Amps,cross over,etc. all in one even. Powered Mackies 15's used are around $400. same with other same type brands.

:cool:

I've used the mackie powered 15's. I found their tweeters to sound kind of "fragile." All around they're certainly underwhelming compared to my yammies.

Also, as it stands right now, I've got plenty of power behind the yammies. I've got 2 crown xls 402's bridged for each side. I like the how modular passive speakers are.

http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/category/15SP/15-Speakers/1.html

are any of the speakers there suitable replacements? Which ones (for under 100 bucks per woofer) do you think I would get the most out of?

Thanks!

Back