P90s & 4-way switching?

Unsprung

Or should I go with 3-way, and decide on series or parallel wiring? My reproduction Telecaster neck arrived, today, and there's not many more parts I need to order, for my partscaster project, then I can start assembling it. The reproduction Telecaster body is routed for P90 pickups, and has a Stratocaster tremolo route. Once I have all of my parts, I'll start putting pictures up, somewhere, to document my assembly.

Just not sure, at this point, how I want to do the switching, is all.

Matt

Sounds like a neat build; I'm looking forward to the pics. If it were mine, I'd try to make it as versatile as possible. I got a new amp awhile back, and settings I never used to use on my old amp sound fantastic on the new one. You might also be interested in these switching scenarios if you haven't run across them.

Personally, I've never been all that wild about series wiring - it just doesn't sound all that different, and I like to keep electronics as simple as possible while doing the job required - but you should do what you want.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I've tried series wiring on other guitars and wasn't really impressed-but on theTele I like it quite a lot. The neck & bridge in series gives it a loud & bassier tone that sounds kind of like a Gibson.

I also use an optional wiring that gives you the series and parallel settings on the 2 middle positions, leaving the neck and the bridge positions in their normal locations. I found it in the Tele Discussion group and it was posted by a man named Rob DiStefano, a fine repairman as well.

RobDiStefanosTele4-wayswitchhook-1.jpg

I could possibly dig on 5-way switching. I'd have to look at a Gibson Les Paul Special wiring diagram, versus a Fender TC-90/JA-90 Telecaster (which is essentially what I'm "copying," with my choice of Seymour Duncan P90s) before I go with a 5-way switch for an out-of-phase option. I've actually got several 4-way and 5-way switches laying around, and it's entirely possible one of the 5-ways was intended for this partscaster. I'm brewing up a couple of future partscaster projects, beyond this one, with the next one likely to be what I'll call a "Jagcaster" (Tele-style body, Jaguar tremolo and pickups, hybrid Tele/Jag wiring). I say "likely" about the "Jagcaster," since I've already got Jaguar pickups that came out of an MIJ Jag. For that one, I may create my own hybrid Tele/Jag control/switch plate, or I may use a Jaguar control plate/Bass VI switch plate with a modified Tele pickguard. Either way, it's doubtful the "Jagcaster" will have a blade switch.

Matt

Back