P90 problems....

starbuck26

Hey gents,

I have a problem that is driving me completely up the wall. I have a set of vintage p90s from guitarfetish that I'm hooking into a rondo television copy. One vol one tone, 3way switch.

I bought 250k pots from guitarfetish but when I wire the sumbitches up the volume knobby only goes from 100% to about 85%. I tested both pots with my trusty multimeter and I'm getting more or less 250k resistAncE at the Off mode. Could it be that he pickups are too high output for the 250k pots? Do I need 500?

Or did I do something dumb lik burn them up when I was tinning them for the grounds?

Or is there some other nefarious foul play afoot?

Sigh.

You wired them 'wrong', that's all. Put the meter on two of the three potentiometer terminals, and rotate the pot from 0-10. The meter should show '0' to '250K'. My guess is your ground is wrong,
^^^ this ^^^^^ there's something amiss in your wiring.

Hey, let me know how those sound in comparison to the pickups you're replacing. I've got two Rondos (SX) with their stock P90s. One sounds pretty good, and one sounds awesome. Could be the difference in the guitars, could be poor qc, differences in electronics, or maybe they sourced the pickups differently. Anyway, I've never had another P90 to compare them to.

Back