P bass wiring problem

IronFlippy

Dedicated To My Member
I've just started playing bass after a few years of guitar. I had a P Bass copy that I refinished and upgraded. I changed the pickup to a Dimarzio Split P. However, I think the wiring went wrong somewhere. I think I may have overheated the capacitor in an effort to get the darn solder to stick to the back of these pots. This is what it sounds like with both the volume and tone knobs dimed:

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=6090

(excuse my poor playing)

This is the bass DIed into my mixer, then into my sound card, with no processing done. It sounds like the tone knob just isn't doing it's job properly. I used this schematic to wire it, and everything is exactly the same, which is why I'm lead to believe one of the parts is bad:

http://www.fender.com/support/diagra...00BPg2upg2.pdf

And here is what the guts look like:
P1070002.jpg

I noticed that I accidentally soldered the bridge ground to the back of the volume instead of the input jack's ground. I've since fixed that.

Also, when the volume knob is all the way down, the volume is not completely cut out. It's still quite noticeable.

Any ideas as to what the problem may be? Maybe this is the way it's supposed to sound and I'm just a complete bass noob, but the sample on Dimarzio's site sounded a lot better, with more treble and less mud.

Well, in the picture it sure looks like you don't have your third lug on the volume control grounded. Bend that in to touch the pot and solder it to the pot.

Beyond that, I can't tell much from the picture, but it also looks like the signal side of your cap (the side not grounded to the pot body) might be touching the pot body, which would be a bad thing.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Yea, my uncle just informed me of the volume thing. He also said to try replacing some of the wire, especially the one going from the volume pot to the tone pot.

Would the cap be damaged because of this? When I moved it away, it still didn't fix the tone problem.

Thanks for the help Light!

IronFlippy said:
Yea, my uncle just informed me of the volume thing. He also said to try replacing some of the wire, especially the one going from the volume pot to the tone pot.

Would the cap be damaged because of this? When I moved it away, it still didn't fix the tone problem.

Thanks for the help Light!

I doubt the cap is damaged. It MAY, however, have been defective in the first place, but I'm guessing that once you get the volume control fixed it may well be good.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back