P.A passive subwoofers oppinions wanted

zook250

hi all. first some general info ,currently in my p.A system i have 4 -15/horns combos, 4 -15 eminence subs, and 4 cerwinvega eb-188 subs. each pair of subs is run by a 1000 watt 4 ohm amplifier.

the eb-188's are fairly old units and i am not exactly overwhelmed by their performance. by the way all the subs are direct radiating.

i have read great reviews on the peavey low rider 18" subs. has anyone used these in a semi perfessional P.A system ? i know you get what you pay for, but i cant afford 4 new 500.00 + subs. i really like the eminence subs (320.00 for the 15" the 18" is over 400.00) but they are substantially more moolah. these peaveys are right around my price range at 239.00 cdn.

any opinions?

$ .02

if i were you i would worry more about getting the ones ive got active....will make much more difference over all than adding more passives...

dementedchord said:
if i were you i would worry more about getting the ones ive got active....will make much more difference over all than adding more passives...

Please explain just exactly how getting subs active will make a difference? If you are talking about powered subs, than yes it will makew a huge difference. You will lose the ability to upgrade amps, and will lose a lot of power and punch. (at least until you start spending upwards of 3 or 4k per sub)

i hope i dont have to go active. i have 7000 watts of power to run my P.A sitting in my rack!!!!! lol. this is for a rather large mobile P.A system to be used in rooms that will hold 200 to 300 people. i have 1000 watts per cabinet which consists of 2 -8 ohm drivers,so 1000watts into 4 ohm load.

so the question is regarded as a live situation ( i wouldnt want 4 18" subs in my studio thats for sure)

do you think these other subs have an advantage over late 70's cerwin vega technology? from looking at the specs i would say they are better, but there seems to be limited info on the cerwins. i do know that i am not really happy with the cerwins performance , and yes i have used the Thiel/small parameters to design the cabinets and port area.

im a little apprehensive to go with Peavey, so that is why i am asking you guys if there may be any options in the same price range.

although i have never had any problems with peavey gear. i wonder why they have field changable baskets on their speakers. do they blow easily?

zook250

I have a pair of Peavey 115TLS speakers (1x15,300watt, with 600 watt horn) which are brilliant.
Love the higher wattage horn idea, its because peavey didnt want them to blow up, and so did a simple but brilliant thing!

i have looked at the Eminence subs ( i run eminence 15" subs as well) they are nice , but the cost is out of my range for 4 - 18's, i have also looked at the madison executioner 18's. the specs look good but i am a little bit apprehensive about shelling out the dough for those units. they are very reasonably priced( about 110.00 less than the peaveys) people say you always get what you pay for , thats the reason for the apprehension. the specs are 500 watts rms 1000 watts peak. 4" voice coil, 100 db sens, 38hz-3100hz, 100oz. mag. the xmax is double the xmax of the cerwin vega eb188's that i have now. .375" and the fs is 40hz. anyone have any comments on these?
i think the peavey's (low rider 18)are probably the way to go. i like the idea of the field replaceable basket and i have heard that they are very reliable subs. they are still reasonably priced. the biggest difference between the low rider and the executioner is that the peavey has a responce much lower 25hz - 1khz, fs is not known and the sens is 97.5 db so they would require more power to push them to the same spl of the executioners. the xmax is virtually the same.

please let me know your comments a.s.a.p as i have to make a dicision very soon.
thanks.

Back