Own a Pod XT with the Metal Shop add-on? I need your help, please.

Nadzilla

Hi guys,

My guitar isn't cutting the "Djent" sound, but I think I have written a patch for the PodXT that might do it well. All I need is for a lovely person with a more Djent-spec'd guitar to plug in, do a quick few seconds of recording, and let me know how it sounded. If I can get away with keeping the Pod after I get my new guitar, then I will. Otherwise it's a rather expensive trip to the Axe-FX site, and that's not really something I am going to be able to afford after I get my new axe.

Here is the tones page: Line 6 :: Custom Tone
Be sure to use either "Nadz Powerball 1, 3 or 4 for rhythm and number 2 for any leads if you wish to go that far. The first one, simply called Nadz Powerball, is a really old patch that is pretty rubbish (it was my first attempt at a custom patch) so ignore that one.

I have tried Misha and Eggeh's tones, and they're not doing it either, so it's defo the guitar that is the weak link in my chain.

Cheers in advance for any feedback on this, it would help a bundle!

Nadz :)

Oh it's only an NJ series Warlock with BKP Nailbombs. Currently tuned to drop C# for my band but I did change the strings when I tested it out for Djent, got a lower tuned set and dropped to A, didn't cut it at all. I know I need a different guitar, longer scale neck and a BKP Painkiller pickup for the bridge and I'll probably be sorted. I was just curious to see if anyone had a better specced axe that they could run through the patch and give feedback on, heh.

A guy on another forum did a Periphery cover with my patch and it Djented really well, thus proving it's the Axe that is wrong for the sound. :/

But please feel free to give it a whirl, I'd really like to know how other people get on with the patches. The mids have been massively boosted, but that's because I needed to do that to get the best sound out of my guitar. Other people might feel that they need to roll off on the mids a bit and possibly fiddle with the gain too. The other guy who tried it had to turn the gain down a bit, but he was also using Bare Knuckles, which are a fair bit hotter than stock pups, so people with a stock setup might find the gain OK or turn it up a notch.

I'll try it out I have a Squier Stagemaster 7 and a Cort X-2 tuned to A I dont see anything wrong with your setup personally, the guitars I have aren't really anything special their both $200-250 guitars the SM7 is completely stock and the Cort has an EMG 85 in the bridge If you don't mind me asking what is your process when trying to get that "djent" sound? Because the thing I've noticed Is that just played by its self the guitars don't really sound all that awesome alot of what your hearing in recordings is the fact that they've usually quad tracked the guitars and a bass is layered in there which actually is a lot of the foundation of that sound. have you tried recording the guitar you have and layering it and then adding a bass in the mix?

Dude, that's AWESOME, thank you so much for that. Yeah tried a few tricks like quadding etc but even when mine was tuned down to A it just wasn't getting that all-important attack. I could try a few more string gauges but that's the last thing I can think of swapping around apart from the pick-ups.

Thanks again! I am going for a new axe this year anyway so I'm sure I'll eventually get the sound, at least I know the pedal tone is right, heh.

yup no prob, what you could try is practicing technique thats a lot of what it is, it isn't so much just loading the preset and you'll just have that "sound" like I said your setup is sounds capable of getting you that sound, heck any BKP is better than the pos stock squier pickup on mine but i can get that sound, basically you palm mute closer to the neck than the bridge and you gotta pick hard to get that "twangy" attack, i'm running .09 - .56 strings on mine tuned to drop A so you maybe could try that I used to have a 62 as my A string and i think it sounds meaner with the 56 because its thinner and has more "attack" to it imo if you got anymore questions lemme know!

Back