overtone in ride

DTBlalock

I have a vintage Zildjian Avedis ride that is in very good condition besides the fair amount of keyholing. Anyways, I am not much of a drummer myself, but one of my friends came over and was playing my set and said that it was the most overtone he's ever heard out of a ride. Is there any way I can get less overtone on it? I've tried tape on the bottom, but it gives it an awful sound as if you are banging on a pot. The sound I am looking for is a nice "ping"...eh, yeah. Any ideas? Thanks.

fldrummer said:
try a little but of masking tape. start real small then add more if needed. What tape did you try before?

I tried duct tape. Just small pieces around the edges. Could that sound have been because it was too thick? (or think compared to masking tape?) Do you have any placement suggestions? Around the edges or close to the bell?

I've seen it work with a line of it from the end of the bell to the outer edge. Just try it all way you can think of and see what you can come up with.

fldrummer said:
I've seen it work with a line of it from the end of the bell to the outer edge. Just try it all way you can think of and see what you can come up with.

Alright, thanks man.

If you want a ride with a real nice ping to it, you need to get a ride with a real nice ping to it. There are different rides for different applications, you just need a different kind.

please do not tape your cymbals!I beg of you Please do not tape your cymbals. or you'll never learn how to play them. It could very well be a technique thing, or a stick issue. To get a good ping out of your ride without excessive wash you need a good sharp attack with the tip. Do not let the neck shank or shaft of the stick strike the cymbal. lift your arm, snap your wrist and use your fingers for control, your arm should not move while riding. Also worn tips will give a dead dull sound, don't wait for sticks to warp or break, they wear out and old worn out sticks sound bad. Experiment, move around the cymbal til you find the tone you like.

Farview said:
If you want a ride with a real nice ping to it, you need to get a ride with a real nice ping to it. There are different rides for different applications, you just need a different kind.

my thoughts exactly. the cymbal has a certain sound and theyres not much you can do to change that, but try moongel. it takes out overtones on any piece of drum equipment! its a god. :D

Try a bit of folded TP taped under the ride. Find just the right spot that the bad overtone is coming from and experiment with the amount of tp. Works like a charm! BTW I like scotch tape, it dosen't leave any residue or discolor the cymbal, and it's easy to take off too.

Um...buy a new cymbal.
That cymbal is supposed to sound like that. If you want a different sound, sell it and buy a new one. Cymbals were not meant to be taped!

A lot of those old zildjians sound like that. You can alleviate the ring somewhat by using nylon tipped stix and play the cymbal around the bell.

But it's kind of like trying to get a strat to sound like a les paul by putting humbuckers in it. If you want a ping ride, go get a ping ride. Or a sample of one

Unfortunately, I have to agree, . .

. . . with the consensus here, . . there is no real cheap fix to your problem , . it just sounds like you got a Zildjian with lost of overtone wash, . . I hate to be one of those guys that always post comments like, . "go get your self another cymbal dude, . ." when all your looking for is a solution to your problem. But, unfortunately it sound like ya need a new cymbal, . . either a ping ride (which in my opinion STILL has too may overtones for my taste, . or a Zildjian Dry Ride, . . which really works for me-- Its a matter of taste ,, , Unfortunately there not cheap-- But, since you already have a Zildjian, . I would recommend you sell it on ebay,..and look for a ping ride (which tend to be cheaper than a dry) or a Dry Ride. .

Good luck man, . .tell us how you make out. . .

PS You might want to try micing your overhead ride cymbal differently, . .and experimenting with different positions, . .to try and make it at least sound a little better. . . But, the rule is if it sound like Ca-ca live, . most likely its gonna sound like ca-ca on the tracks. . .

generally as a cymbal gets older (10-20yrs) the attack starts to disappear, and the cymbal can seem "dull", i like to think of it as warm, but the overtones remain... the cymbal kinda matures... try some cymbal polish, or if you have access to a buffing tool (this idea will be flamed), buff the cymbal around the outside edge for about an inch - two inches, then buff the bell area.... this should bring some brightness back to your cymbal, rather than trying to solve the matter by degrading the sound.

Aaahhhhhhh

Ok, what kind of sticks are you using????...HOW ARE YOU
HITTING IT? :eek:
Realize thats it's a JAZZ cymbal and they didn't shoulder it with 2Bs. ;)

If you don't want alot of wash, then try angleing the cymble a bit towards you as you play. Also, don't hit is as hard. My friend has a 21 inch Zildjian Sweet Ride, and he would set it flat and beat the shit out of it for that washy sound he liked so much. I took the same cymble, angled it towards me, used a smaller stick and didn't hit it as hard and it was like a totally different cymble. It all depends on the stick, technique, pressure and where you strike it and you can get almost any sound you want out of most rides. Remember, once in a while it's kinda cool to nail the ride as if it were a crash...gives it that nice swell affect if it's appropriate for the song. But then again, a Ping ride, Dry ride or an Earth ride might be what your looking for. Good luck.

Back