Overrated.....Underrated....

Most of my overrated choices are media darlings who get lots of press, but are really average musicians. My underrated choices are extraordinary musicians who really don't pop up on most people's (and the mainstream media's) radar. They just get out there, work hard and make superb music.

Most of my overrated choices are media darlings who get lots of press, but are really average musicians. My underrated choices are extraordinary musicians who really don't pop up on most people's (and the mainstream media's) radar. They just get out there, work hard and make superb music.
What about musicians who are more or less popular, snobb'd by certain musicians for various personal reasons (taste, jealousy...), and therefore lose on both ends?

What about musicians who are more or less popular, snobb'd by certain musicians for various personal reasons (taste, jealousy...), and therefore lose on both ends?
Hey, if they don't like me, that's their problem! :-)

I'm sure there are some musicians out there who are simply jealous of successful folks, but I bet most musicians know who the really good ones are if you really ask them. And yeah, taste has a lot to do with it. We all tend to stick with the styles we like. I won't bother rating thrash metal artists, since I really don't listen to them. The same for the majority of hiphop artists. And sometimes they fool you. I always thought that Gaga was a joke until I heard her actually do some different stuff. She's really talented, can sing and play lots of styles. Surprise! I can't say I'm a fan of most of her music, tho, but that's a different story.

Admittedly I've missed a few pages in this thread, so don't know if the name has possibly been mentioned...

I don't really know that much about the guy, or I should say am not familiar with him musically other than the chance encounter now and then on the interwebs. Ry Cooder. From what I've seen, interesting cat. Good player, underrated, or perhaps just doesn't fit a niche for greater exposure to the gen public.

Back when I was in my teens and learning to play (still learning) and learning to appreciate the blues and how it influenced the rock players that I was drawn to - somebody gave me a tape that had some Ry Cooder stuff on it. That had an impact on me, helped me along in understanding phrasing and choosing notes over key changes and that sort of thing.

Another dude that is a great player who was also on that mixed tape cassette is Arlen Roth. I had kinda forgotten - but those cats, among others, really influenced me when I was just learning to play.

Thank you guys - by the way!

Last edited:
Arlen Roth. Why does that name sound familiar? I'll have to check it out...later, after couple few beers and steaks come off the grill.

Back