Overrated.....Underrated....

I think this was Bowie's kind of "kitchen sink Northern drama" comment of his experience. He was a Metrosexual southern softy who experienced a different world in the north of life from what he knew. It would have been a culture shock. Hence the reference.... shit I am on another planet here
Here is me saying that when I come from Newcastle !!! 😅😅😅😅😅😅

I think The Fixx has been under-rated. They've been arund since the eighties and have produced great original music, and are still going.
Good band but nothing special. Sounds a bit like a bland version of InXS. Listened to a couple of tracks and they were ok but nothing great. Just my opinion which means sod all...

Can't say I know enough to have an opinion of over/under rated, but I remember One Thing Leads to Another, The Fixx. Janky guitar, cool verse bass line that gets rolling in the chorus, keys accents and low key yet tasteful background vocals. The bass most being the standout. Good tune.

I think the Fixx was pop, but I think pop done very well. If I were to list the songs from them I really like (still listen to today) here is a short list:

Red Skies At Night
Saved By Zero
Reach The Beach
Stand Or Fall
One Thing Leads To Another
Secret Separation

There are more, but these make my shortlist.

If a band has that many songs on your list, that is a pretty good band. Very underrated I think. And for a band of the eighties makes them very special. (Not an eighties fan)

Did you know it was Rick Wakeman playing piano on Life On Mars?
He actually played on the whole of "Hunky Dory" except for "Queen Bitch" which has no piano. Bowie said that he wanted to come at that album from a piano angle and as Rick had played mellotron on "Space Oddity" and was friendly with David, David asked to play on it. Wakeman said that when Bowie played him the demos of the songs that were going to go on the album, just him and 12-string guitar, it was the finest set of songs he had ever witnessed in one go, in his life.
Bowie actually asked Wakeman to join the Spiders and it was ultimately a choice between joining Bowie and being a sideman and joining Yes and being able to write songs ~ he'd been to an audition and says during it, he and the band had written "Roundabout" and "Heart of the sunrise."
So he made his choice !

I think the Fixx was pop, but I think pop done very well. If I were to list the songs from them I really like (still listen to today) here is a short list:

Red Skies At Night
Saved By Zero
Reach The Beach
Stand Or Fall
Secret Separation

If a band has that many songs on your list, that is a pretty good band. Very underrated I think. And for a band of the eighties makes them very special. (Not an eighties fan)

And word is, if you're backing your boat into a tight space and need a spotter, lead singer is your man.

I have to throw Foo Fighters in the mix here. I want to use the term "overrated", but that's only my opinion, I can see where newer generations can get into their music. When I first heard them years ago, I thought I was going to like them, but all I heard were glimpses of catchiness in a couple radio tunes which never seemed to pan out into full-bodied catchy songs. I kept listening to newer radio songs and sometimes I'd hear another catchy phrase I thought was cool, but then again the rest of the song went flat for me. Now I just can't listen to them at all. And when I see all this hype over Dave Grohl and him mingling with Rock Royalty on stage, well. . . To me, Dave with or without Foo Fighters is just another overhyped cover band.

I have tried, but I just can't make the connection with this artist.

And don't even get me started on Taylor Swift and Anti Hero.

I can't say that Foo Fighters is a favorite of mine, but I have to say that Dave Grohl has impressed me with his versatility and his commitment to the music. He's hard to put into a category.

As for the hype, the music media always picks out someone and plays it until the next big thing comes along. Whether it's Dave Grohl, Taylor Swift, Britney Spears, Ozzie, J Lo, Madonna, Harry Stiles, John Meyer.... it makes no difference who they are. Play that story until everyone is sick of it, the find a new target. I don't really follow the big media machines much at all. If I like the music, I listen.

Red Skies At Night
Saved By Zero
Reach The Beach
Stand Or Fall
Secret Separation

The Fixx were better known in the US than here in their home country. Which means that around here their guitarist can get up and play with a local band in the pub and no-one bats an eyelid. Mind you, we've also had Jimmy Page jamming with a band at another local pub - although that one did cause a bit of a stir.

Flamin’ Groovies and NRBQ are the 2 most chronically under-rated bands in the history of rock music. I got into both bands “late” like 1981, as both bands had been around since the 60s. Honourable mention goes to Evan Johns (and H-Bombs) as the best guitarist you never heard of. Wild Billy Childish achieved some modicum of fame about 10 years ago, so he just escaped the most under-rated list. Over-rated...hmmmm

Back