overkill, probably

jazzrich9

So, slowly I'm working on a solo project, first time I'm really doing it with my music, and it's so much harder than other peoples tracks... anyhow, here are the first four I have. btw, this is a great site for unlimited hosting if you don't mind your stuff being public, and shareable under creative commons... but remember, creative commons only gives rights to the sound recording, you still own the (c) on the song. :)

Anyhow, they're four pretty different types of songs, and still very rough, so listen to what you like, and any feedback is most welcome, this is in the clean it the hell up stage.

http://www.podsafeaudio.com/jamroom/bands/356/Waiting_to_Live.php

cheers.

Just a friendly bump-

fwiw, if you only have time to listen to one song, which I totally respect, here's a rundown of types -

Sky is Falling - produced popish song with acoustic piano, and "real instrument samples" I'm specifically interested in ideas for the drum programming, and whether the vocals are working, especially on the bridge with the processing.

Coming to Terms with the Rain - Electronic Ballad, done almost entirely on a juno-106, is there enough depth to the sound, do the drums work?

I-95 - Electro indie pop? do the changes make sense, how can I improve the reverse piano break, does it work?

Words - acoustic piano and voice - general mix, changes to the vocals? Any other suggestions.

Thanks to anyone with any thoughts... cheers.

Listened to The Sky is Falling. A very personal song with a unique performance style for sure. At 1:50 the arrangement opens up and sounds really good. Before that the metallic and distorted piano sound isn't working, IMO. I like the vocal effect at 2:28. In some of the phrases I think the vocal performance needs to loosen up - sounds kind of hesitant in places, rushed in others. And some of the lyrics hit me as though there's too much being fit into the available rhythmic space... "called to say he didn't like me... I was tough and wanted to fight him... you were strong and so we caught a movie..." that phrase gets kind of rushed sounding. (Also the phrase about, "You and I were 14 and 18 respectively...") Many of the phrases though were finely crafted and I like the way the rhythms of the word groupings carry across bar lines in some sections.

I listened to Words also, which I enjoyed, and may have time to comment on that later.

Tim

Hey Tim,

Thanks for the feedback, exactly the stuff I need to be wrapping my ears around. I was kind of on the fence with the distorted piano. Perhaps the clean is in fact the way to go.

Back