overheads

FBstdminime

I really want a new pair of overhead mics (right now I'm using shure bg4.1s), but I can't decide whether to use SD or LD condensers. My setup is only four mics (i don't like close micing the toms). I am willing to spend up to $600 for the pair. The SD condensers I am looking at are (in no particular order):
1) marshall mxl603's (actually cheaper than my shures)
2) rode nt5's
3) audio tech. at4041's
4) crown cm-700's
LD that at which I am looking:
1) audio tech. at4033's
2) studio proj. c1's
3) shure ksm27 (i already have a 32, and was wondering if these sound somewhat similar, since i don't really want to buy another 32)

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Eric

P.S. - I have tried the search function, and I really can't find anything that compares all of these mics. Besides, I can't search for anything on the c1 unless it mentions studio projects (it annoys me that the words I'm searching for have to be at least three letters).

I have three sets of mics I reach for for over heads.
Octava MC-0112's (my first choice)
Neumann KM-184's
Audio Technica 4033's
The Octavas just sound a bit rounder sound and on cymbals, that can be a good thing. For jazzier/ lighter handed drummers the Neumanns or ATs are more accurate sounding.

Re: If I were you........

Blue Bear Sound said:
....I'd save up for a pair of AKG 451Bs! ($900/pair)

Yessssssss...finally I found something that's actually cheaper in Europe then in the states ;) ;)
AKG C451 special edition in wooden case+shield+clamp for €388 ! Gotta be the next thing I'm gonna save for.

Blue Bear, what's your pref kick mike ? I'm doubting AKG D112 or Shure Beta 52
(Beta 91 bit outta my league)

Thx,
Herwig

If you would mean the €388 I was speaking about. It's in EURO (hence the €-mark :rolleyes: ) and yes, it a piece.

Being the Euro and US Dollar at about the same rate, 2x388 < 900 :cool:

Maybe the 451B differs from the orig 451 (being actually a 451 enclosure with CK1 capsule, = the most used), idunno.

Herwig

I have a 451. I've had it for a while and mainly use it to record acoustic guitar and sound affects. I've been tempted to get a 451 B and use them as overheads but I'm worried they really won't match up sonically. Anyone made the comparison?

Back