Overheads & Stereo Acoustic Guitar

TripleJ

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a pair of condensors that would find themselves equally at home on a kit as well as acoustic guitar.

Something available in Australia would be lovely too, so I'm restricted to shures/rode etc etc.

I had a search around but the search tool doesn't seem to like searches over about 10 characters in length.

I was looking at the nt5s (as they get a good rave on OHs) but are they any decent for acoustic?

The only other condensor I have is a LD Rode NTK.

Cheers Guys,
Dan

ps: Sorry for the newbish question, I'm just having a hard time finding an answer and thought that directly asking might help me find what I'm looking for.

What's your budget?

You can get great condenser mics for acoustic guitar and also drums from this place: http://www.naiant.com/

A lot of people have posted samples of those mics (and there are some listed on the website) so you can take a listen. They're really great microphones at an unbelievable price.

My budget is around $500 or so Australian dollars. It works out to be 400 or so USD but gear over here tends to be alot more expensive (even after conversion) anyway.

I'm just downloading a few samples from that site.

- a pair of oktava mk012 or some other budget sdc
-a pair of 4033's or 4040's do well
- a pair of CAD m179's
-I have gotten some great guitar trax from the naiant sdc's, have never used them OH, I usually use 451's ( a little pricey but soooooooooooooooo sweet)

This is a tune I did recently, using only 2 MSH-1's. I'm pretty new to drums, so just used them as overheads here, then moved them closer to the guitar when I tracked it.

The Man
I did compress the drums pretty heavily, but they seemed to get picked up pretty well. It's a 12X12 bedroom.

TripleJ,

I haven't (and won't) used Rodes so I can't pass comment there.............well apart from saying that while I haven't heard anything "worrying" about them, I haven't heard people "waxing lyrical" like I do about some other mics around your budget.

Close to your budget, the above mentioned Oktava 012's are good o/head mics and liked by many on acoustic, also Studio Projects C4 come standard as a matched pair with both cardoid and omni capsules and I have an idea that the new C4's have a new (better?) circuitry design, (that can be confirmed by contacting SP direct)............it is possible that presuming I'm correct, that the new C4's aren't out here yet.

The way the AU$ has been rising against US$ I would seriously suggest you look o/seas............for Oktavas contact Warhead here at HR (aka Warren Dent at Front End Audio [US] ), for SP gear, maybe Oceania in NZ (contact Nigel) but you will probably do better $wise from the US.

NOTE.........: DO NOT confuse the Front End Audio recommended above with the one in Adelaide, who happen to be SP's Aust., distributor and weren't recommended. ;)

There are a number of cheaper mics that may also suit (MXL603 or whatever they are now called, Joe Meek JM27, etc., etc). While I love the 603's on our Matons, I find them too bright for o/heads but other people think they work well..............no matter what you may buy, you have to hope that they will sit well in you room's acoustics and match the particular instruments you have.

:cool:

ausrock said:
TripleJ,

The way the AU$ has been rising against US$ I would seriously suggest you look o/seas............for Oktavas contact Warhead here at HR (aka Warren Dent at Front End Audio [US] ), for SP gear, maybe Oceania in NZ (contact Nigel) but you will probably do better $wise from the US.

Good prices on that website actually. I emailed Warren. I can get the Beta52 there for about $250 or so whereas here it's way more. Unbelievable. The oktavas are about $500 too which is good.

Dogman said:
This is a tune I did recently, using only 2 MSH-1's. I'm pretty new to drums, so just used them as overheads here, then moved them closer to the guitar when I tracked it.

The Man
I did compress the drums pretty heavily, but they seemed to get picked up pretty well. It's a 12X12 bedroom.

Was that only 2 MSH-1s? I was quite impressed by that drum sound. I'm seriously considering them now.

Now I'm in a bind, $500 mics vs $100 mics? They both sound pretty awesome.

TripleJ said:
Good prices on that website actually. I emailed Warren. I can get the Beta52 there for about $250 or so whereas here it's way more. Unbelievable. The oktavas are about $500 too which is good.

Was that only 2 MSH-1s? I was quite impressed by that drum sound. I'm seriously considering them now.

Now I'm in a bind, $500 mics vs $100 mics? They both sound pretty awesome.
Yes..2 MSH-1's is what I use.

Well considering that I'll be paying about $400 more for anything comparable to those MSH-1s I think I'll go for them.

Be damned if I can hear a $400 worthy increase in quality.

Back