Overheads on drumset Y'd into 1 xlr input

Yeeeessssss

Here's the dilemma - 5 mics, 4 interface inputs.

Recording drums using 2 C9's, 1 M179, and 2 Tsm411's (all CAD mics) and going through a Presonus 44vsl audiobox usb

C9's as overheads, M179 on snare, Tsm411 on kick. Wanting to add the other 411 to toms without buying a whole new interface.

I could just get a Y xlr splitter and use that to combine the overheads, or try putting the two overheads into a mackie compact mixer then using the main out of that to go as one input to the interface.

Should I do either of these, not at all, or an entirely different idea?

Either way even if it isnt a good idea to mix any two mics for the drumset together because maybe you would getter a better soun/moe control/etc. i can always use another input for guitar.

Thanks!

It depends on what you are after. I personally would start with a stereo overhead pair. Combining two overheads would be absolutely backwards to what most do for drums. Overheads should be your beginning, not something to compromise with a 'Y' cable. Use a mic on a pair of toms before compromising the overheads IMO.

4 Inputs,

1 Kick
2 Snare
3 OH left
4 OH right

Back in the Old days (here I go again) when I only had an 8 track,

1 kick,
2 snare,
then using a stereo mixer left output 3/ right out 4. OH left, OH right, tom mics panned to suit.

Get a good drum sound then hit record.

Alan.

I could just get a Y xlr splitter and use that to combine the overheads, or try putting the two overheads into a mackie compact mixer then using the main out of that to go as one input to the interface.

Either of these will result in mono overhead recording, so you may as well just use one mic.

witz has it sussed. ;)

Either of these will result in mono overhead recording, so you may as well just use one mic..
Grins..
The other just for future ref.. You can split things going out.. Combining.. not. Combining dynamic mics, nothing will break', might not even have a bad effect on the sounds, but def not advisable with active circuits.

4 Inputs,

1 Kick
2 Snare
3 OH left
4 OH right

Back in the Old days (here I go again) when I only had an 8 track,

1 kick,
2 snare,
then using a stereo mixer left output 3/ right out 4. OH left, OH right, tom mics panned to suit.

Get a good drum sound then hit record.

Alan.

yup.

this....

you can get a very good sound out of 4 (even 3) mics.

You don't need 5 mics to capture your kit. All you need is 4 (or even just 3) mics and ityou will be able to record some great drum tracks.

1: Kick
2: Snare
3: OH Left
4: OH Right

The overheads will pick up both your toms and cymbals, all while providing that cool stereo spread for those tom rolls. They will also pick up your snare, at which point your snare mic is the "character witness" to your snare sound. Normally you'll want to mic the top of your snare, however if you mic the snare from underneath, you can use the overheads for the overall sound, then use the bottom snare mic to mix in the amount of "sizzle" you want out of your snare.

At the moment I'm using:
AKG D12 for the kick
Shure SM57 for the snare
MXL 840 x2 for L&R overheads.

Back