Overheads for string ensamble type recording...

My budget is between 600 - 700 for the pair. I'd really like the AKG 414 but don't think I could swing it.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Dennis (CR)

For String Ensemble

Really any good small condenser mics will do just fine. Just look for ones with a flat response(SM 81's are a good choice). I use AudioTechnica 853 choir mics and get very nice recordings and they are small enough to be unobtrusive. You can get a pair of SM for your price range, the AT are even cheaper.

Re: Re: Re: Overheads for string ensamble type recording...

rustyfingers said:
Thanks guys. It was a toss-up between the octava's (soundroom) and the SM81.

Dennis

I have both the MC-012's and SM81's and IMO the SM81's are more accurate than the MC-012's... get the SM81's.

What other mic's are you using? Ive used the 603S for overheads and they have worked well when used in conjunction with a couple of LDC's. I like the extra wide cardioid pattern of the MXL's for group miking. I like AKG 451's for cymbals when close miking a kit. Since you mentioned AKG414, Im assuming you might be looking for LDC's? IF so, within your price range you might want ' a pair of B3's from Studio Projects. If you already have a LDC you could set up a decca tree, and have 2 of the mic's in fig 8 to get more room off the back diaphragm. SM81's should be pretty good as well, the only dog mic's out there are the Nady when it comes to SDC, you might invest in the Studio Project C4's under $400 buck and multi patterned ;)

Peace,
SoMm

Are these the only two microphones that you plan on using? How large is the ensemble?

Because depending on your definition of 'overheads' this may not be the best microphone placement.

I agree with Innovations

Overhead could easily be a poor place to mic the group. There are many different mic configurations you could use. A stereo XY pair or an ORTF pair would work nice and you can fly them if needed. The same goes with a spaced pair.

If you can come up with 3 mics you could set up a Decca tree as Son of Mixerman said. I haven't used Decca trees much myself. I am big fan of ORTF stereo for this type of recording.

I like blumlein when recording smaller groups like this in a nice space, and I've had great success with a stereo pair of CAD M179s. (Note: Stereo matching is an extra service, something like 20% the cost of the mic...) This still makes an affordable pair at around 500, well within your budget. Personally, I prefer them to 414s, which seem to strike me as too much high-end, to the point of being harsh...but that's just me, and, admittedly, I haven't used the older ones...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Overheads for string ensamble type recording...

DJL said:
I have both the MC-012's and SM81's and IMO the SM81's are more accurate than the MC-012's... get the SM81's.
Ditto.

Sklathill said:
I like blumlein when recording smaller groups like this in a nice space, and I've had great success with a stereo pair of CAD M179s. (Note: Stereo matching is an extra service, something like 20% the cost of the mic...) This still makes an affordable pair at around 500, well within your budget. Personally, I prefer them to 414s, which seem to strike me as too much high-end, to the point of being harsh...but that's just me, and, admittedly, I haven't used the older ones...

I have a matched pari of M179s and like them a lot. With straight ahead stereo recording, though, I really like using a jecklin disk and two T.H.E. KR-1F capsules with their KA-04 pre-amp body. These are very fast, accurate mics. Not hyped at all.

Re: I agree with Innovations

sloop said:
.... I am big fan of ORTF stereo for this type of recording.
Me too, unless the group is small enough (say a quartet) that individually micing each instrument is feasible.

I think a couple of AT 4033 mics would do the trick nicely. And the price, right at $600 a pair.

Back