Overhead Mic choice

Magnet

So i have a few overhead options. What would you choose? The drummer is an excellent player rock/jazz style, Not a very heavy hitter with a fair amount of ride cymbal usage, it's a vintage 60's slingerland kit perfectly tuned etc.
My mic choices:
sm-81's (been using these mostly)
Akg 414's
Adk Vienna's
Adk Hamburg's

the rest of the kit will be:
421's toms (1 rack, 1 floor)
D112 Kick (Closed head/ no holes) sounds great though.
akg 451 hat
snare 57 top
snare top #2 adk Sc-2 (just to check it out)
snare bottom 57

Any advice would be appreciated!

magnet

Not to be a smartie pants, but whatever sounds best. How are we to know which of those will sound #1? Depending on the room, one condensor overhead and one kick mic would smoke on a good drummer for jazz stuff.

Sorry but I don't get it. You have a decent selection there, try them out for yourself. Walk around the kit / room while he jams, this will tell you a lot.

War :cool:

Depends on what kind of sound you want. AKG 414s for a tight sound. Im guessing the SM-81s will give you a more open sound to the kit. I think normally with jazz you want the more open sound. But it really depends on what your looking for.

Danny

Good players can effectively "mix themselves" with their technique and expertise. A kick and a coupla overheads do really well, especially on a well balanced set with a well balanced drummer (is there such a thing?)

sm 57

i would never use sm 57 on snare if I had such a nice selection of mics. reather try md421 on snare! i love 57 but not with snare, it just doesnt do for the nice open snare sound.

no offence! that is just my opinion! :)

Not a fan of 81's on drums. I Prefer LDC's on Drums Even when I gig live My rider asks for AKG-3000, KSM 32, etc... SM81 is my LAST choice. Too shrill sounding to me.

414's are very predictable and sound good on OH's

The problem with using a Sennheiser MD421 on the snare is the size. Not very idealistic sticking it in between a high hat and toms. And i dont really think it needs it on the top. Now a MD421 on the bottom is a pretty good idea if you have the tracks. But keep them on the toms too.

Danny

Back