overhead eq

copperandstars

Hello,

One of the crash cymbals in my overhead mix is super harsh sounding (really high twangy sound) and I was wondering what frequencies to mess around with that might be able to mellow it out a bit. I realize that the problem lies within the recording technique...I was just hoping I might be able to do something with the eq to help a little. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
ryan

You should just take a parametric EQ and do a sweep with a high boost and a narrow Q until you find the offending frequencies. You also might want to try a desser, sometimes the effect is too sparatic for cleaning up a harsh cymbal, but it could do the trick.

Do what tsl said. as you sweep, you will start to hear a nasty 'whistle' sound. That is the frequency that you want to dip. It will most likely be somewhere between 2-10k.

Try cutting the highs on that mic or just moving the mic a little farther (right or left) from the China. It can also be the stick approach...I've had trouble with a crash before...

copper heres a BIG TIP to see offending frequencies.
look for the free sound engine audio editor on the net (note 16 bit only),
load in a snippet of your cymbal, and in the menus you will see a frequency display. hilite it and do a loop play and youll see the frequencies that are offending display. this will help you zero in on offending frequencies (prolly between 2 and 4k). i use magix music studio to do the same thing.
i guess you could try the demo.
the frequency display is in the mixer section.
also cool edit 96 if i remember will do the same thing.
also hitsquad.com have some other programs that display spectrograms.
also i forgot - the free AUDACITY has a frequency display. once again import
a brief sample and hi lite it. audacity also has para eq and spectral analysis built in.
hope this helps.

Back