Overdubbing by yourself:

mcolling

God I hate it!

You've got to set everything up, hit record and then run into the other room and play the part. So damn annoying...

dude get a KVM (keyboard video mouse) chord, a cheap monitor/mouse/keyboard and your all set! I've got a 25 footer I got and use it to record in the other room to keep out the computer hiss.. Works like a charm!

-Josh

Yeah, that would definitely be more convenient, but there is still just something about having someone else wearing the engineer's hat.

Try the Frontier Designs Tranzport. It's a remote control for your workstation.

I used to use a Syntrillium Red Rover, but it was limited to the 10' USB cable (permanently attached). The Tranzport is wireless.

Mcolling...

True dat...

I've been doing it the same way as you for 5 years. It DO get old...But I'm clueless on setting up a computer in my room so....I guess I just deal with it....

and maybe have a little cheese with my whine... :D

Here's what I do in my studio . . .

You'll need a wireless router, a laptop with wireless access to your
router + the main system connected to the router (wired or wireless).

Download & install the free program RealVNC
(http://www.realvnc.com/) - set it up & configure it
on both systems . . . .

now the laptop becomes a remote control for your main
system.

lpdeluxe said:
Try the Frontier Designs Tranzport. It's a remote control for your workstation.

I used to use a Syntrillium Red Rover, but it was limited to the 10' USB cable (permanently attached). The Tranzport is wireless.
+1 - I couldn't live without mine :)

Can youset auto punch-in/out points? You said "play the part" so I'm assuming this is a guitar part or something...get a longer guitar cord and stay where you're at and use a footswitch(if supported). I have been known to hit the REC button with my nose when doing guitar/bass overdubs.

I use a laptop in my "drum room" ahem.. basement with UltraVNC. Works great. Playing engineer and musician sucks. :(

Have kids! By the time they are 6 or 7 they should be able to run the sw better than you can anyway! :p

My 11-year-old is learning actionscript and Flash8. Blows my mind. He's just like FlyingFingers from the MM Diaries editing Sonar.

Back