overdrive pedal

I called it 'bait' because you know you'll reel in 912 expert opinions every eighteen minutes. And that includes mine. ;) It is all subjective, and I too am going through probably two dozen overdrives. Some I've tweaked, some are bone stock. A tweaked SD-1 is actually very cool, and very close to being the sound of your stock amplifier with everything cranked past '10'. It's just the sound of your amplifier, but bigger. If that makes any sense. I also have a Keeley Blues Driver, and that's a great tone as well. I'm even digging a cheap Bad Monkey. I think I tweaked my vintage Distortion+ enough that it too is pretty good. They're all good. If I can grab any used pedal for any sort of deal, I grab it. I just took my second BBE Opto Stomp. Why? It was just $60. How could I say no? Overdrives (and not fuzz or distortion) are so personal that you can't have too many. One may sound awesome with a Tele and a Deluxe Reverb. With a Les Paul into an AC30 you might need something completely different. I always figure you want it to be able to clean up at least 'some' when you roll back the guitar volume a little. Some pedals can do that, and some can't. I haven't found a Dan Electro that can. The Jekyll and Hyde is pretty neat, so there's another idea. And you can almost think of it as getting two pedals. :D

every time I see an overdrive pedal thread, I want to say "Buy a used behringer blues overdrive for couple of candies", then I change my mind...

i told you the gear i have and an example of what i'm shooting for.

The gear, yes, but the example wasn't until after I'd posted. Youtube's blocked at work (I'm assuming it's youtube - I can't see it), and I haven't been on from home yet. Either way though, between those two pedals I'd be shocked if you didn't find something you like.

The gear, yes, but the example wasn't until after I'd posted. Youtube's blocked at work (I'm assuming it's youtube - I can't see it), and I haven't been on from home yet. Either way though, between those two pedals I'd be shocked if you didn't find something you like.

the gig was saturday. i'm good, but thanks.

and see if this is blocked at work. same band, not a youtube vid. it's an mp3 clip hosted on my server:

the gig was saturday. i'm good, but thanks.

and see if this is blocked at work. same band, not a youtube vid. it's an mp3 clip hosted on my server:

So what did you end up using at your show? Was it the LP into an AC30 that you were so impressed with earlier in the thread?

if you still looking for a pedal - go and get Lovekraft Mojo drive. You'll get three in one - clean boost and two TS flavors. But use it for "warming" AC30 drive - crank volume to max, gain on zero, tone to taste... Thats how OD pedals should be always used ;)

A DS-1 is really over the top. It's actually too much even at moderate settings. When I say over the top I mean intense not smooth.

THe tube screamer is going to have a better tone. It is not as wild.

Ive read reviews on the Deltlabs Tube Driver which is a TS-9 knockoff. I personally haven't test drove one yet, but people seem to think its just as good as a TS-9. The price is good as well.

I wonder what the Suhr Riot would sound like with that combo?

I've been wanting to move to a smaller, stereo rig. Two fairly clean tube amps, nice Eventide chorus and delay to get a stere spread, and using a distortion pedal for all overdrive.

Aforementioned OCD is a good place to start. I'd suggest the Zvex Distortron. As the name implies, it's technically a distortion pedal, based off the front side of a Box of Rock, but it can be dialed down into OD territory, which is where I use mine. It is super versatile tonewise, and has a distinctive midrange grind to it that really jumps out to my ear.

A DS-1 is really over the top. It's actually too much even at moderate settings. When I say over the top I mean intense not smooth.

bees in a can.
To me, one of the nastiest worst sounding distortions ever.
When people suggest them, I HAVE to think they haven't tried many really good pedals.

Aforementioned OCD is a good place to start. I'd suggest the Zvex Distortron. As the name implies, it's technically a distortion pedal, based off the front side of a Box of Rock, but it can be dialed down into OD territory, which is where I use mine. It is super versatile tonewise, and has a distinctive midrange grind to it that really jumps out to my ear.

will check it out.

i tracked guitars last night and was way more happy with what i got out of the guitar>amp.

a friend dropped one of these off for me yesterday. can't wait to plug it in.

english-muff-n.jpg

Back